Telling You

I knew since a long time ago that accepting to follow the Tsuki no Me plan would bring many deaths, but it didn't matter to me and neither was it going to matter. Or that's what I believed.

I had manipulated those two orphans of the rain who were trained by Jiraiya: Nagato and Konan; I took advantage of their pain and of the profound hate they had for Hanzou. I manipulated the Uzumaki so that he would help me with my work: capture each and every Bijuu. At first, it was... difficult, since we had to recruit at least seven other members to use a sealing Jutsu— obviously, to keep the beasts controlled.

We recruited renegade S-rank ninjas, each one of them much different than the other and from different villages.

From Sunagakure, Sasori; from Konohagakure, Orochimaru— who made me gag every time I saw his face; from Takigakure, Kakuzu— the one who couldn't keep a partner, so we had to recruit another immortal from Yukigakure, Hidan— yes, the winner who got to be Kakuzu's partner. From Kirigakure, Kisame; and Itachi, also from Konohagakure.

We were ten, including me, the orphans, and Zetsu, who was a type of bodyguard of mine. To be honest, I trusted him enough.

The first thing we had to do was sustain ourselves economically, meaning Kakuzu would be treasurer of the organization due to his faint obsession with money and his excellent control over it.

I have admit, I had really trusted myself. I would've never predicted what that stupid Orochimaru would do: try to steal Itachi's Sharingan. Although, I didn't have to take care of him personally— and neither did Nagato, who called himself Pein— because Itachi himself took care of it. After that, the snake left the organization and once again, we were nine integrants.

Usually, here is where the person who would come to me after so many years in the dark abyss would supposedly make his presentation, but I couldn't do it; I lived in the shadows of the organization with Zetsu... no, even he was more known than I, Tobi, who used a ridiculous orange mask.

I really didn't know much about how they recruited Deidara from Iwagakure, only that Itachi had to confront him.

Although, I could assure you he used some Genjutsu.

When I saw the new member of the Akatsuki, my curiosity surged. I wanted to meet him, talk to him, be close to him and even become good partners. But the blond seemed to be involved in his art— I agree with Hidan: they were only bombs with pretty designs— and his actual partner, Sasori— whom he called Danna, by the way— was fond of him because he was an artist, just like him.

Pure nonsense.

You were too fussy. You got angry with extreme ease and although you understood the puppeteer's artistic approach, you continued insisting that art was ephemeral. I really didn't understand why you said that, or at least, not at that moment. I know it perfectly well now.

When Sasori fell in battle against a kunoichi from Konoha and his grandmother, I realized that you felt somewhat depressed. I could see it, I could feel it. And I didn't like it. I didn't want to see how you would stop in front of your Danna's bedroom, waiting for him to open his door, raise an eyebrow, and say his typical: "I'm busy, Deidara, what do you want?" I felt extremely guilty for that.

So then, the only thing I could say to him— in reality, my voice had sounded quite authoritarian, something that surprised me— your leader, is that I would be your new partner. As expected, there was no objection.

And although I seemed like an idiot at first, I was happy when I saw how you furrowed your eyebrows and looked at me with disdain. Perhaps it was because I was much taller than you or the fact that I used a mask and you couldn't see my facial expressions. I don't know why, but I smiled when you said: "This has got to be a stupid joke, hm."

Ever since I had descended the abyss, I had never felt so free like I was at your side, Deidara. I acted like a foolish child. I ran and joked around and even belittled what you considered art just to see you with an expression that wasn't that of nostalgia or melancholy. I did everything possible just so you wouldn't remember your fallen friend and I think it worked. I liked to believe that: that you thought of me and of the other nonsense I'd do.

I have to tell you, Deidara, because it's burning me from the inside, but I have contain myself.

You are not in my plans even if I regret that now.