Last Breath

Everything that lives has to die, right, Kakashi?

I've lived too long pretending to be dead, I've lived being dead. And right now, I can only be at peace knowing that my will is in someone like Naruto's hands, and I know that you'll take care of him, it's a promise, no?

You either change or die before changing.

I have changed before dying; I've changed before being killed by a falling rock, and now, I've changed before deciding that my best friend's life will always be much more important than my own.

Tell me, Deidara, don't you think I'm a hopeless martyr?

Perhaps my only consolation is that maybe I'll be able to see you again, hear you, feel you. I leave this world that I've so much damaged in the hands of my legacy, Naruto. It's about time I abandon this empty life that I've lead for more than twenty years.

Tell me, Deidara, don't you think I'm a grand loser?

My life has always been based on mistakes, failures, and beatings. And just when I was about to triumph, when I had victory between my fingers, I realized that it was only an illusion, that I had lost, that I was only the stupid and disposable pawn piece of the chessboard.

Deidara, I only want to hear you; grunt, shout, whisper. I want to hear you before I exhale my last breath, before my lungs can no longer support the absence of air, before my heart gives its last beat, I just want to hear you.

*

Rin.

How long have I been separated from your face full of vitality? I can't manage to remember, but you're here, waiting for me. You've been watching me, that embarrasses me. How many times have you seen me trip? How many broken promises have you observed?

"We've been watching you."

Who? Who aside from you could support all my failures...? I hope it's you...

However, despite my immense wish to see you again, I can still help, I can still redeem myself.

"Wait for me, I'll be back soon."

Just wait for me, Deidara. Wait for me just a bit longer and then you'll have me for all eternity. Always beside you, never apart from your side.

Wait for me, my love.