Chapter Five

Chapter Five  

  Devony shied away under Paxiel's narrowed glare. With a nervous chuckle she met his gaze full on and repeated, "I, um, said I was looking for you Angel Boy."

     He eyed her suspiciously before picking up a slice of bacon, "How do you know I'm an angel? You keep referring to me as 'Angel Boy', which by the way is not accurate. As you can plainly see I am no BOY, Buttercup."His smile didn't reach his eyes this time,  but it broke some of the tension that started to rise.

     "Huh...But you don't refute the angel part, interesting," she muttered under her breath and in her nervousness she began to ramble absentmindedly ripping a slice of bacon to shreds, "interesting...I only thought 'Angel Boy' in my head the other night... or was it last night..."

     She glanced up at Paxiel and asked, "How long was I out?" and without giving him any time to respond she focused her attention back to the mutilation of pork  and continued her ramblings, "...because your face was just, so.. well, so angelically perfect I suppose. But an angel...a real, in the flesh, wing sprouting Angel!"

Again her head popped up and she eyed Paxiel curiously,  "Where did your wings go anyway?"  she looked away just as quickly, with an embarrassed blush heating her skin, from the beautiful creature before her.

     Paxiel raised a wary yet mildly amused brow, "The other night?"

     Devony's attention was once again drawn back to the beautifully sculpted man before her, cheeks still a burning shade of crimson, "H..how long was I out?"

     "I found you around maybe four in the afternoon. It is now.." He glanced at the silver clock hanging just above the black credenza on the left side of the living area. "...nine thirty at night. I'm sure you can easily do the math. So, why exactly were you looking for me in the forest?"

     She dropped her eyes back down to her plate instead of meeting his entrancingly hypnotic ones again. Lifting her right hand to her mouth she began biting her nails, a nasty nervous tic she never could quite rid herself of. She felt a warm rough hand cup her chin, forcing her to look at him. Her eyes darted anywhere they could to avoid meeting his head on.

     "Devony! I asked a question. Why were you looking for me in the forest? It's a simple question."

     His chastising tone halted her roving eyes and a glint of anger flashed in those silvery blue pools, "It may be a simple question, but I don't have a simple answer for you." she replied as she jerked her head out of his grasp.

     Devony grabbed her plate and pushed off of her stool, anger, fear and an overwhelming frustration driving her forward. She rounded the bar looking for a place to deposit her plate.

     Trying to buy a little time and avoid sounding like a loon, she scraped her plate into the bin and whirled around moving toward the sink. She could feel his eyes on her every movement, zoning in on her like a majestic eagle spying a  skittish woodland creature through a break in the trees, prepairing to swoop down, talons at the ready.

     The heat from his body blanketed her moments before his arms reached around her, removing the plate and shutting off the water. Her heart nearly leapt out of her throat when his lips brushed her ear as he spoke. "I'm really not fond of repeating myself, Buttercup."

     Swallowing hard she took a deep breath and thought, Well, I guess it's now or never.

     "I had a vision, or a dream, but I'm leaning towards it having been a hallucination, but feel free to take your pick. I had been out with friends and ciderberry was partook, heavily I might add, so this has to be the reason for what I saw, but...it FELT so real."