XXIII

Rin rejected Tsukasa.

Or so Tsukasa thought.

"Don't cry, Tsukasa. There's still plenty of fish in the sea." Rindou said even though he was not crying.

Ignoring Rindou's 'heartfelt' comfort at the background, Tsukasa continued to bury himself in the mountain piles of work, hoping that it would soothe the emotional pain he was suffering. That day, after his confession, Rin released his hand and stuttered backwards. After a few moments, she said 'Let me think about it' without even looking at him and went out. Tsukasa's fingers stopped at the contact on his phone's screen and he paused his work.

"What have I done...?"

***
On the other hand, back at the dorm...

"What are you?! An IDIOT?!!!" Yukino's voice echoed through the long, dark hallway.

When Rin came back with a pale face, both of them had a bad feeling about it. They were ready to hear the words 'It didn't go well' but it was the opposite. Both of them were jumping with joy but then when the bed news hit them, Rin was dragged back into her room and demanded for an explanation.

"The Tsukasa Eishi confessed to you and you rejected him?!!!" Yoshino screamed.

"I didn't reject him. I told him I needed time to think..."

"That's the same as rejecting him!!" Yoshino made a motion as if pulling her hair out. "What is there for you to think about?!"

"I..." Rin pursed her lips before continuing, "I'm not...good enough for him! He's standing above there while I'm a nobody! I can't-"

"He confessed to you!! You are the girl he loves!! Why do you think you need to be good enough to be with him?!" Yoshino now changed into lecturing mode.

"I kinda feel bad for Tsukasa-senpai now." Ryoko's words cut Rin like knives, "You do love him, right?"

Of course I do! I love him so much! Even right now, I want to see him and hear his voice! Is what Rin would like to say out loud but was stuck at her throat. Deep down she was extremely surprised and delighted when he confessed. She almost could not contain her tears of happiness. However, the confession was too much a shock for her as well. She had considered many aspects and came to a conclusion that she was not suitable for Tsukasa.

After chasing them out of her room, she sat back on her bed and eventually lied down, restless and empty-mind.

**
As the Autumn Election crawls nearer to its end, Rin felt desperate unable to find an answer for Tsukasa. She wanted to be by his side badly, but thoughts like 'He's at the top', 'I can never match up with him' had her hesitant.

"Yuuki-chan, that's not ripe enough." Rin's train of thoughts was interrupted when she diverted her attention on Yoshino picking the tomatoes at Isshiki's field. Isshiki sensed her depressed mood and told her to look after his field for him since he would be busy with the competition.

"Aren't all tomatoes the same? If they're red, they're ripe."

"The red is too bright. They should have a darker tone like this." Rin took one of her picks from her basket and showed it to Yoshino.

"Huh? I don't see the difference though..." Yoshino examined them closely, "I mean, it's still the same, right?"

"How about you give it a go and tell which one has a richer taste?" Rin smirked. This was one of the few times she had smiled these days.

Yoshino did as she was told and took a bite on both the tomatoes, "Woah, I think yours has a richer taste. How'd you know?"

"Rin-chan does have a keen eye for colours." Megumi who overheard their conversation joined in.