XXV

For students of the Tootsuki Academy to advance into the next year, one must go through a harsh selection process called the Promotion Exam. Students who are unable to pass this exam are deemed unworthy to continue their pursue their future in Tootsuki. The Elite Ten was no exception. The location for their Promotion exam for the 92nd generation of first years is none other than the rich land of Hokkaido. For every section of the exam, the students will be moved to a different exam hall and they will travel via the Tootsuki Express. However, students who failed the certain section of the exam will be sent directly back to Tokyo, resulting in their expulsion. 

Rin sat quietly in a limousine as she stared blankly into space.She could not help but worry about her friends at the Polar Star dorm. From what she heard from Tsukasa, the exam usually picks and ingredient and let students brainstorm on the spot. However, due to the new Azami administration, everything had changed into his favor. All the examiners are handpicked by him, meaning he would be able to pull the strings behind the scenes. She felt a tap on her shoulder which brought her back to her senses. 

"We're here." Tsukasa smiled. He reached a hand out for her. Rin just nodded and took hold of his hand as they got out of the car. 

She exhaled lightly and white puffs of cloud escaped from her mouth. She examined the land covered in snow and instantly fell in love with this place. She could not remember the last time she saw snow, but she was excited as she took little steps in the snow, leaving shoe prints. Tsukasa watched amusingly as she played with the snow like a child. 

"Rin, let's go inside." 

"Okay." With her nose and cheek tinted slightly pink, she walked towards Tsukasa as they head towards the exam hall where the first years will be having their first exam section.

"Good luck." Rin thanked him shortly and left. After seeing her off and accidentally shocking some first years with his presence, he went back outside and took off to another location.

***
As soon as she went in, she was immediately distracted by the ruckus made by her friends. She walked over there casually to greet them but the examiner came to interrupt them before she could. The examiner was a woman in her late 50s. At first, she looked like a sweet person with a bright and bubbly attitude as she introduce herself as well as the theme of the exam. In the first exam, they were separated into several groups. The rebels, also known as the students who oppose Azami, which also of course includes the Polar Star dorm members and others like Alice, the Aldini brothers, Mito Ikumi and others were put in the same group. Rin was put in a group with people she did not know and not care. She gave Megumi a worried look and she smiled reassuringly back to her. 

The examination was designed to favor students who attended Azami's lessons, as Rin expected. She did not attend, but Tsukasa taught her everything she needed to know to pass the examination. The examiner started to distribute the ingredients. She quickly focus her attention on cooking. After working out each other's duties, Rin set to work swiftly. Ever since she decided to continue learning cooking from Tsukasa, her cooking skills had significantly improved. As her fingers touched the knife, she sliced her ingredients without hesitation, cleanly and beautifully. Her team members almost forgot they were in an examination until she turned around and giving them the "what-are-you-doing" look. She looked over to the rebel's group and she frowned because it looked like they were having some trouble but she went back to her own dish soon. 

The exam went so smoothly it was frightening for Rin. She waited outside the hall for Megumi and when she came out, Rin ran towards her and almost tackled her with a hug.

"Megumi-chan!" Rin held her tightly and Megumi returned her hug. "How was the exam?"

"It was fine, we passed-" 

"Of course it's not fine!!" Yoshino interrupted. "That foul examiner actually swapped our ingredients with the lowest quality!!"

"What?" Rin's worries were right all along. Of course their examination would not go so smoothly. "Then, how did you pass?"

"We'll talk about that later, haha." Souma stopped Yoshino from launching into an explanation. He chuckled and continued, "Sorry it took so long, Rin. We're finally gonna rescue you, don't worry."

"Souma-kun..." Rin was unable to utter a word. He was keeping her promise that she thought no one would remember. All of them did. She smiled lightly and looked at them straight in the eye, "It's alright now."

"Hmm?"

"You don't need to save me anymore. I'm fine not returning."

***
"Nyahahaha, the rebels actually passed the exam!" Rindou laughed while holding her stomach. Azami on the other hand did not seemed too happy. 

"What do you propose we do, Director Azami?" Kinokuni Nene pushed her glasses and asked the real question. Azami did not answer her. He looked at every member of the Elite Ten and stopped on a particularly new member.

"What do u suppose we could do, Hayama-kun?" A mysterious smile hung on his face. Hayama looked unwilling to answer him but he still did.

"I don't care as long as they're out of action." 

"Very well. Then I assign all of you to watch over their promotion exam personally. What do you think?" 

There was no response from the members. Azami smiled satisfyingly as if taken their answer as a yes and proceed onto their meeting. 

***
The train was extravagant as expected of Tootsuki Academy. Rin of course chose to sleep in the same room as her friends, ignoring the countless looks other students shot her. She was expecting to be bombarded by questions but everyone just treated her the same way as she was back in the dorm. She knew everyone was just being cautious but she could not care less. She was back with them for now. She appreciated this brief reunion. Instead they discussed about the cheating that happened during the exam and feared that the next would happen as well. 

When it was almost bedtime, she moved to another coach on the train and dialed Tsukasa's number. 

"Hello, Rin. How was the exam?" He answered almost immediately as if he has been waiting for her to call all day. She felt a sharp pain in her heart.

"I passed." She kept it short. "Today, the examiner gave the rebels low quality ingredients."

"Is that so?" Tsukasa did not sound surprised nor did he care. 

"Why?"

"I'm sure there was some mistake. I'll mention this to Director Azami." Tsukasa avoided the question and brushed her off quickly. She did not actually need more explanation. Tsukasa had told her everything. She just could not accept it.

"...I'm tired. Good night." Without waiting for him to answer, she hung up. She looked out into the window. It was a night with clear skies and the stars packed the skies. It was bright, but she felt dark inside. She wrapped her fingers around her phone and prayed.

At least before I leave, please understand.