Chapter Three: [beginning of secrets]

"Secrets don't destroy things. Suspicion does."

    Indigo's POV

         I gasped as I woke up, my head shooting up. I looked down to see I had fallen asleep on my arms at my desk. My lamp was still on from the night before, and I knew I had fallen asleep. I yawned and tucked my hair behind my ears, raising my arms as I looked down to the multiple papers on my desk. 

     The applications haunted me. Each paper full of information I had to guess and estimate, my handwriting as neat as possible. Each word written to impress the names at the top of the papers. Grocery stores, gas stations─ anything to earn money

     . If Kate wasn't enough on our plate, a few nights ago I had discovered Melissa budgeting. The numbers crunched until she counted down the days that we would lose the house. Last week, Stiles confided in me that the envelopes with the bills for Eichen House now came with red notices. Seems storing your possessed son for safety costed quite a bit.

     I flinched at a knock on my door as I hurried the papers into a pile, flipping them over. I turned around and watched Scott open my door, dressed in athletic clothes.

     "You ready?" Scott raised his eyebrows. I paused, before giving a quick nod. 

   "Just let me get dressed." I smiled. Scott nodded and walked down the hallway. I let out a deep breath and looked to the papers.

    I was going to help. All of them. 

 ╪

        I squinted from the sun as I walked in-between Scott and Stiles towards their morning practice. Stiles' hand gripped mine while the other held his duffle bag.

     "Scott, of course you're still team captain. You got your grades up, just like Coach told you to, right?" 

     Scott sighed anxiously. "Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team. He just told me to show up for try-outs today." 

    "We've got bigger things to deal with anyway." I waved off. Stiles nodded as we stopped next to the bleachers, turning to Scott. 

      "Did you tell Argent yet?" He asked. Scott shrugged. 

   "I texted him but he didn't get back to me." 

       Stiles furrowed his eyebrows. "You told him his sister Kate came back from the dead over a text?" 

      Scott frowned. "I didn't have the money to call France."

   "Yeah, you think you got money problems? Try paying for an MRI and a visit to Eichen House." Stiles sighed. I bit my lip and gave his hand a small squeeze. He glanced down to me and gave me a small smile, returning the gesture.