Growing Attached

Rory bobbed her head to the beat of the music blaring through her headphones whilst making notes for tomorrow’s lesson. She was pissed as hell and was doing what calmed her down best – studying. (Her constant ‘whatever’ attitude made everyone skeptical about her academic abilities when in actual fact she was a nerd at heart)

 Her father just made an appointment for a medical checkup for her. Self mutilating, she scoffed. For the love of God, Rory had no damn idea where he got that damned idea from. .

 Just because she rarely smiled and seldom spoke, her father thought there was something wrong with her. She’d rather thought her father was the one required to be treated. He ought to be treated for over anxiety. She saw no reason to smile all the time. And why was it necessary to speak when a grunt conveyed the message just fine. Besides, a little extra eyeliner didn’t mean anything.

 She stretched her legs, knocking a pile off clothes on the bed to the floor. And chucked her pen and book on her table. The book barely stayed there for a minute before it lost balance on the clutter already present on the table and fell to the ground with a thunk. She yawned and stretched her arms, cracking her neck at the same time when her door opened and her sister crept in.

 She should really put a ‘Keep Away” sign on her door, “What do you –“

 “Oh my god, Rory! It was great! It was fantastic. He was so nice and sweet and –“, Hazel was squealing in such high pitched tones some words were no longer audible.  She was literally vibrating with suppressed excitement, bouncing on her toes.

 Rory rolled her eyes and stared at the ceiling with an exaggerated bored expression. She prayed her sister caught her sign and stopped prattling about her new boyfriend. She didn’t care if they had gone to HextonPark or South Africa. As long as her sister would leave her in peace and shut that yakking mouth of hers. She cared about Hazel and liked their weird, squabbling sister bond. But seriously, details were not appreciated. That boy looked decent enough and that was all that mattered.

 “Are you done?” After what seemed like years.

 “No.”

 Hazel took a deep breath.

 “And then he-“And she continued. Rory groaned and clamped her hands over her ears, “Shut up, I’m not in a good mood.”

 “You rarely are.” Hazel paused amidst her never-ending fairytale to add salt on her wound. Then proceeded to babble on about her story like she’d never stopped before.

 “Dad thinks I’m slicing myself.”

 That got her attention.

 There was a surprised “Oh,” and silence.

 Glad to know her sister still know her alphabets at dire times like this.

 Rory looked to see her sister deep in thought, “Are you thinking about how to help me out? Or are you still stuck in that park rowing boats?” she asked sarcastically.

 Hazel’s face lighted up and pointed out enthusiastically, “You actually listened to me.”

 Rory rolled her eyes, kicked her blanket up with her foot and covered her head with it. Hazel’s cheery mood was grating on her nerves.

 Under the darkness of the covers, she heard Hazel snicker and said, “I’ll talk to Mom and Dad about it. No worries.” And slapped her hard on the butt before quitting her room. Rory winced, rubbing her bottom. Finally.

Hazel twirled to her own room. She was being extremely, ridiculously happy. It was possibly the best day in her life. Other than the day she was born that is.