The Other Side of the Coin

She didn’t know where they were. After witnessing the death of a person, the colourful ribbons and chatter around her cease to register. All she could think about was the blinding explosion and Haydn’s heartless reply.

She had to get him out of her life. Immediately.

He blew it…big time. He could have to kick himself for his stupid lack of foresight.

 Damn. Threatening her? Great move, Haydn. Really, you should receive a round of applause for your smart ass tactical approach.

She was a human for hell’s sake! Blowing up cars and – He snorted derisively, it wasn’t even as if he blew it up in the first place. If only he had kept his mouth shut and not force her compliance. He would have avoided this mess.

Being the son of Hades, it’s his nature to sense impending death. He knew when someone was about to fall dead as well as his or her cause of death. And when he drove behind that car, the usual scent of death infiltrated his senses. It was a smell so sickly sweet, one he’d gotten used and addicted to since he was but a child.  The only time it had made him nauseous was the night when the scent lingered on Hazel. That was the first time the smell of death almost turned his stomach and sent his mind reeling with anxiety.

Haydn wouldn’t disturb the flow of events. The last grain of sand had fallen through for Joseph Mcknight, age fifty, husband of Hanna Mcknight and father of two. The poor bloke’s time was up. Not a very nice way to go but much preferable to dying a slow painful death from the tumor growth in his throat which was still undiscovered by him.

Haydn had merely used poor Joe’s death to his advantage – or disadvantage he thought with a scowl seeing as how things had turn for the worse – hoping to get Hazel’s attention. And look where he was at the moment.

In a colourful fair, with dozens of stalls and tents of food and games. One where he had hoped to enjoy with Hazel like the day in the park and make her smile. But now, she was looking glassy-eyed at her surroundings, tight-lipped with clenched fists at her sides.

So much for cheering your bride, your highness.

Haydn craved Hazel’s acceptance for who he is. Yes, he fed on death. It wasn’t his doing. It was merely the part of the endless cycle carved and weaved by Fates. Strange how people tend to find his family terrifying when they were only passive rulers. They – or if he was to be honest, his father and Dmitri watch and observe on their thrones in the Underworld, sending reapers to collect souls or rearrange the paths should anybody cheated death. He on the other hand liked mingling amongst the ‘ignorant mortals’ much to his father’s distaste.

The underworld wasn’t very interesting. Things barely change. In the various Realms where time gushed pass like waters, everything changes every minute of the day was far more intriguing.

 And this Realm where magic was unexploited and barely existing was one of his favourites – now more so as his bride hailed from here. It was a fascination how these humans build their life on what they call technology. Although he must say, this Realm was also one where the people are the weakest compared to the people of the other Realms. Not to mention over relying the on their own form of microchip magics.

He glanced at Hazel as they walked through the people milling about.

If he needed any assurance about her fear of him, rest be assured, they’d been confirmed.

 Being a Prince of the underworld – he thought with a sneer of annoyance at himself - he wasn’t used to being denied anything. Including her refusal to acknowledge him.  And he being a Prince, had taken the usual route to get what he wanted - fear to gain submission. Just like what he’d always done for centuries.  But as of this moment, he’d rather her ignoring him and not fear him. Than her frighten out of her wits and nodding along with whatever he’d said.