Part Four.

September 30, 2016

After a month of hearing nothing from Mike I was beginning to think that he didn't need me anymore.  Then earlier this week he calls me in for a meeting, which brings me to where I am now, sitting in Mike's office, waiting for Grayson to show up.  I hadn't had any issues keeping this a secret, mostly because I kind of forgot about it.  Also, after I snapped on Grayson at the Delta Gamma Phi party he pretty much refused to acknowledge my existence in class.  Which, of course, didn't bother me at all. 

Mike was sitting at his desk reading through some papers.  It looked to be a contract of some kind, which made sense, as I was sure I was going to have to sign something for this whole thing.  Grayson was apparently running late, as it was now 1:45, and we were supposed to start at 1:30.  My nerves were starting to kick in about everything, because this was really it.  There was no backing out now, once this meeting was over I was tethered to that 6 foot 5 waste of oxygen for who knows how long.  I could feel my heart rate pick up and my palms begin to sweat.

"Mike, would you mind if I went to the restroom quickly?"  I just need to walk around for a second, that's all I need.

He nods, "Of course, its out my door and to the right."

"Thanks, Mike."

Once I find the bathroom I lock the door and walk over to the sink.  I splash cold water on my face in attempt to calm my nerves, thank god I didn't wear makeup today.  I look at myself in the mirror, I had fallen asleep in the lab last night and didn't have time to go home before classes today.  I looked like a walking zombie, pale skin, dark hair, the whole package.  My outfit, thankfully, was semi passable for this meeting.  I had on dark skinny jeans and a blue nike 3/4 zip up.  Definitely not professional, but I didn't look like a slob... not that I cared what Grayson thought of how I looked.

After a few minutes of pumping myself up for the meeting I made my way back to his office.  I could hear another voice inside, meaning Grayson must have finally shown up.  I pause outside, partially because I don't want to interrupt them and partially because I want to know what I'm walking in to. 

"Grayson, you'll love her.  She's smart, well-liked, and has a fantastic public image."

"Coach, are you sure this is all necessary?  I mean, I'm sure this girl is fantastic, but don't you think everything has blown over by now?"  He sounds so different when he talks to his coach, so respectful and pleasant.

I hear Mike sigh, "I wish it had Grayson, but it's as strong as ever.  People are still writing articles about it.  I feel that this is the best way to address it."

I knock on the door, hearing Mike on the other side, "That must be Natalie now."

I open the door just in time to hear Grayson's confused tone, "Wait, did you say Natalie?"

He looks at me and immediately a scowl makes its way on to his face.  he quickly turns to his coach, "Is this her?  This can't be her, right?"

Mike raises his eyebrows, "This is definitely her.  Grayson, if you had a reputation half as good as hers we wouldn't be in this predicament.  Whether you like it or not you need her."  Grayson sinks back into his chair at his coach's words.

Mike smiles at me, "Now that I have both of you here, we can go over what's going to go on for the next few months."

I nod politely, but I can see Grayson with his arms crossed, pouting like an infant.  God has no one ever given him rules before?  Who am I kidding, this is probably the first time he's had to be responsible for anything in his entire life.