Chapter 3

~~~ James' POV ~~~

I watched the colour drain from Ali's face and I knew she was going to faint.

My dad did too because he leapt forward and caught her before she could hit the floor.

Black growled.

I ignored him and looked around.

"What the fuck happened here?!" I demanded as I took in Alpha Cody's unconscious body that was surrounded by a huge pool of blood even though I could tell he had no injuries.

I looked around for answers, noticing that both Ali and Black had blood on their hands and clothing, but again no wounds.

Then it all made sense.

"Ali healed him didn't she?" I asked Black, but he wasn't paying me the least bit of attention.

Arrogant bastard, I thought - my wolf agreeing with me, but then I noticed why he was paying me no notice and it made me pause.

He was gazing at my sister, unconscious in my father's arms.

My dad didn't seem to notice because he was too busy taking her pulse and checking to see if she had any injuries.

But me, I stood there in shock as I watched Alpha fucking Black, the man without a soul, looking at my sister like a love-sick puppy.

It angered me because ever since I'd seen Ali's eyes start to glow with the amber circle of the mating connection, gazing into his eyes, I'd assured myself that she would never accept him because there was no way he would ever feel anything for her.

She told us that she thought she had seen something in him, the possibility of some deeper emotion but I had scoffed.

Ali was my little sister, the Mother Of Luna, and she was too sweet and gentle for her own good. She couldn't truly think ill of anyone if she tried, which was why I had not believed her.

But now I could see she was right.

She may have only suspected, but for the space of a few seconds I truly saw Black and it was undeniable.

He cared for Ali.

Maybe even more than that but I wasn't ready to admit that to myself just yet.

I was surprised to find that I was sad.

Sad for Ali - and the fact that she couldn't see this for herself and know that her hopes had been correct.

I couldn't help but laugh a little.

My adorable little Ali, the most innocent girl you could ever meet who literally repelled hostility and violence, had managed to unknowingly make the cruelest alpha alive fall head over heels.

And she didn't even know it.

So shy and gentle, she had obviously underestimated herself and the impression she had left on Black.

It was almost comical.

My eyes snapped back to Ali however when she whimpered slightly but still didn't wake up.

I noticed Black tense up at the sound and I swear I saw his hands twitch toward her.

My father scooped her up into his arms bridal style and looked my way.

"The headaches are starting, she's used far too much energy." he started to move toward the door but Black got in his way and I could hear his wolf growling deep in his chest.

I could tell he was trying to suppress it but it was still shit scary. I didn't envy my dad and I couldn't imagine being on the receiving end of Black's unchecked temper. My wolf shuddered at the thought.