Chapter 8

~~~ Ali's POV ~~~

It was 2am and I could still feel the tears trickling over my cheeks as I lay in bed, cocooned in covers as I tried and failed to fall asleep.

I had called home once I'd fled to my room after Black's outburst but not my mum, dad, or even James had been able to relieve me of this overwhelming sadness. My wolf hadn't spoken to me since we'd agreed to move back to my old pack and I was missing her comfort too. My family had naturally been both angry and relieved - I knew they hated Black for basically rejecting me after I had left them to give him a chance, but I was also fully aware of the fact that they just wanted me home.

But would it be home if my mate wasn't there? Could I go back to how life was before I found him?

I groaned and buried deeper into my covers and blankets. My mind was completely spent, though one question which had been bugging me all afternoon and night still drifted through my head.

What exactly had caused Black's outburst at lunch?

I remembered his shouted words . . .

"IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!"

Flinging furniture around and punching walls.

I sighed and wiped my cheeks clumsily, my eyes finally drooping when I felt the familiar tingle that told me I was about to have a telling. Seconds later I saw a scene from earlier this morning . . .

Black's colossal black wolf was running through the trees, his powerful muscles rippling as he patrolled the perimeter.

He suddenly slowed and his ears pricked as someone approached, though he didn't seem surprised to see the young man standing there. As I watched I vaguely remembered seeing him as I explored the pack grounds - I think he was the pack doctor's assistant.

He came forward and I noticed his eyes were red and puffy, Black noticed too and barked at him for information. The boy bowed his head, shaking from head to toe and spoke.

"Alpha, Doctor Luther sent me to tell you this news in person . . . -"

The teenager halted as if he really didn't want to say more and I just wanted to reassure him, give him some comfort but Black had no such desire.

A ferocious growl erupted from his intimidating wolf and he bared his teeth, forcing the poor boy to continue quickly.

The youngster jumped and bowed his head further, "Alpha, I was sent to inform you that Elder Kaitlin passed away in her sleep last night, and -"

Black roared and his wolf began to shake and somehow increase in size as his emotions took hold of him. The boy cowered as his alpha charged past him, consumed with anger as his wolf howled and growled into the forest.

The scene began to fade . . .

I blinked repeatedly and my hand came up to hold my head in shock and confusion. Okay, so Black's mood had been triggered by the death of an elder but I was sure he didn't usually react this way to hearing a death.

My own heart clenched at the news - I hadn't known the woman but somehow I still felt her loss. As Mother of Luna, sometimes if this world loses a particularly pure soul we feel the effects as I was now. I could tell she had been a kind, gentle, well respected, wise woman and I was suddenly sad that I hadn't met her.

Adding to my own sorrow, I flopped back into the pillows and burrowed into my covers, seeking the comfort that a warm bed can give.

Then I heard it. The same strangled shouts as last night.