Chapter 10

~~~ Ali POV ~~~

"He escaped?!!" he roared, shooting up from me and pacing across the room, "that bastard is still out there?!"

I just nodded in silence.

Every time I thought about it I got chills, knowing that he was out there somewhere doing god knows what with a possible cult. The constant fear that he would come back for me . . .

A loud growl and a heavy thud caught my attention as I looked up to see a humungous, jet black wolf in front of me - shaking with anger. I cringed back into the sofa out of pure instinct at the hostility that Black was radiating. He'd actually shifted, and I suspected his wolf had forced it.

With another howl, Black barrelled out of the house through the back doors and I rose on wobbly legs to watch him disappear into the woods.

I looked out onto the open field and the far tree line, trying to sort out all the conflicting thoughts and emotions that were going through my head right now.

Black was right when he'd shouted at me and told me that I had begun to think he could actually care about me.

But all those small gestures that had made me think it was possible were clearly just an act, him just 'walking on eggshells' as he had put it.

He had told me to leave.

He didn't want me and if that was the case then me and my wolf were just going to have to try and cope with our mate's rejection. It hurt deeply, especially when my wolf and I had grown attached to him.

But I had agreed to leave - to go back home.

A few hours ago I had been trying to come to terms with that, when once again things had taken a very different turn.

I shrunk to the floor and shook my head, thinking about how I had just told Black about the worst part of my past.

His reaction honestly gave my wolf hope but I wasn't as convinced.

Now my mind was spinning with the question: was it just his wolf being instinctively protective of his mate, or did Black genuinely care?

The million dollar question that was consuming my life.

If it was the latter then that opened a whole new round of confusion and questions. Because if he did care then why was he trying to act as if he didn't? Why would he tell me to go home?

Uurgh, this was so confusing!

Getting up and drying my tear stained cheeks and giving myself a shake to clear my thoughts, I padded to the kitchen. I needed my hot chocolate, it was the cure for everything!! I was aware that I may have a problem or rather an obsession, but it was a delicious one so I ignored my wolf's teasing.

At least she was speaking to me again which brought a small smile to my face.

Stirring my chocolate I couldn't help but sigh a little; why couldn't we just be like all other mates and just enjoy falling in love and being with each other? My chest ached.

Just then the doorbell rang. I took my chocolate, wrapping my hands around it for the warmth and opened the door and I smiled when I saw who it was.

"Hey, Chez!" I sang.

He chuckled and sauntered in as I closed the door behind him.

Chez was one of the few people I had actually gotten to know here, I hadn't seen the point of making friends when I was leaving anyways, but he was always good company.

"Luna." he replied as he followed me through to the living room.

I rolled my eyes - he knew I didn't like being called that.