Chapter 6

~~~ Chez's POV ~~~

"Here they come." Bruce nodded to the far side of the training field where Black had appeared, Ali just behind him as they walked over to us. She looked so small compared to him and she had such a delicateness about her that made this assessment just seem wrong. A part of me knew that my wolf was being affected by the whole Mother of Luna thing, making me feel protective of her, but I couldn't help it. I'd talked to her a few times and considering the lack of attention Black had been paying her - she had still been kind and happy whilst we talked.

They finally reached us and my wolf liked the small, friendly smile that Ali sent my way. I grinned at her, trying to offer some encouragement as Black began to introduce her to Bruce.

"Ali, meet Bruce - he's my third in command and is in charge of all our fight training. He'll be running and judging your assessment."

I looked at Bruce and smirked, he was a good guy, an amazing warrior who was completely dedicated to maintaining the pack's superior fighting skills, but I could tell that he too was helplessly drawn to Ali. They looked comical next to each other, a tiny blonde and a hulking mass of sheer muscle - battle scars across his face and neck compared to her nervous blush.

"Pleasure to meet you Bruce." she held out her hand and gave him her kilowatt smile.

"Luna." he replied gruffly, shaking her hand and bowing his head a little in respect. I was kind of shocked at the action knowing Bruce was one of the proudest wolves I'd ever met and sure as hell didn't stand for special treatment - hence him pushing for Ali to actually he assessed. I looked at Black and saw that he too was surprised, his eyebrows raised but then he got a knowing look in his eyes and his lips twitched.

I had to suppress a smirk of my own seeing that and cleared my throat.

"Good to see you again Luna." I smiled.

"Chez," she grinned, "and please, for the tenth time just call me Ali."

"Noted. Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention it yesterday but that woman you helped - you know the one who went into labour in the woods, well she was found and the baby is safe and well."

"I know, I went to see Kim in the hospital yesterday," she smiled at the memory and glanced at Black, "she decided to call the little boy Jeremy. Gosh, he is just the cutest thing!"

I think she could have gushed more but then Alexa, a sixteen year old she wolf joined us, bowing her head and acknowledging us by title before speaking to Bruce.

"You called for me?"

"Yes, Alexa you will be the first challenger in the assessment today, we'll be starting in a few minutes so go and prepare."

She obediently ran off.

"Shall we?" I said and headed toward where the whole pack had gathered in a huge, loose circle to watch the fights.

Bruce strode off and I saw Ali swallow and bite her lip, I was about to give her some words of comfort but then walked on a little with a smile when Black beat me to it. I know I should have just given them privacy and ignored them, but I was a nosey bastard and strained to listen in as I joined the pack circle.

"Ali listen," he said gripping her shoulders, "if you go out there and at any time you change your mind or it gets too much you just say the word and I'll stop it, okay?"

I was shocked. It wasn't exactly the most caring or romantic gesture but for my alpha it said a lot. There was a pause before Ali replied, she was probably just as surprised as I was but when she did finally answer there was actually a hint of nervous laughter beneath it.