Chapter 11: The Princess Falls

(Sapphire's POV)

I'm falling. I'm falling! Hundreds of metres! Ruby's image gets clearer the further down I go, and soon enough I can see her every expression; shock, panic, frustration. What do I do?! I'm going to splatter onto the Palace pavement. Right in front of my beloved Ruby! That's all I think about now. All I can do is wait to die.

A hand grabs mine from an above window. A familiar touch, a familiar grip. It is kind, a little weak but strong in the essential places, and above all it is a hand that loves me indefinitely.

"Padre?!"

My father strains as he tries to pull me up. "I'm never going to let you go!" he yells. He grits his teeth and I start to get pulled in. 

But my glove starts to slide off my fingers, and my father struggles to maintain his grip. But it is hopeless, and I start to fall again.

"Sapphire!" he shrieks. I look down to Ruby, who's expression is now that of determination. She stands there, with arms open ready to catch me. I fall heavily into her arms and she sinks to her knees, but we're fine.

(King Kunzite's POV)

(Translated from Sapphian)

[As soon as I lost my grip on my daughter, I rushed down the stairs. Ha! As if I could have caught her in time. But I did so anyway. By the time I got down, it was evident that I would have been far too late. I'm standing here now, looking upon my daughter, in the arms of the banished street rat. They are hugging and kissing and crying and I have failed as a father. I said I wouldn't let her go, but I failed.]

(Sapphire's POV)

I'm alive! I survived! I was saved! I embrace my partner relentlessly. But my father just stands there, with this depressed look on his face. Isn't he happy I'm alive and not splattered on the pavement?

"Padre...you wear a look of sorrow in a time of rejoice. Why?"

There is a long pause as my father stands with clenched fists. He starts to cry. His tears roll down his cheek ever more frequently until he grasps me in his arms.

"I'm sorry I couldn't hold on. I'm sorry I took you away from your true love. I'm sorry. I'm sorry..." He keeps repeating that as his grip tightens around me.

"Padre, it's okay. I'm okay you don't need to worry anymore. If it weren't for you slowing down my fall-"

"That's all I did! I slowed down your fall! And this is all my fault! What kind of father-"

"Protects his child to anything he sees as dangerous? Every good father in the world. Te amo, Padre, so don't ever beat yourself up for doing what dads do!"

My father starts to loosen his grip, and he dries his eyes.

"I'm sorry-"

"No! You're not allowed to say that anymore, okay? Silencio por favor."

"Okay...Ruby, I'm-"

I stop him from apologising.

"You and Sapphire can be as close as you want."

We breathe a sigh of relief.

"But no sex before marriage!"

"Dad, of course not! And...don't talk about these things...hearing that from you is just weird!"

He laughs out loud. Mi padre is back to his old self again.