Chapter 3.... Obligations

Noah's POV:

I had barley touched the overstated antique knocker on my parents front door when my mother opened it almost as if she were standing on the other side waiting for me. Her shorter brown hair styled immaculately, dress clothes pressed and with jewelry adorning her my mothers appearance was suited to someone going out not staying in for a Sunday family brunch. Then again I couldn't remember a time my mothers appearance was ever less than perfect.

Without saying a single word my mother looked from me to her wrist checking the time on her watch. Her lips pursed together as a slight almost inaudible sigh escaped her.

"Good afternoon Noah." Opening the door wider my mother took my jacket handing it to the maid. While her smile was welcoming enough the look in her eyes told me my late arrival would not to go unchecked. "Everyone's in the seating room but then again they got here an hour ago."

Leaning over I gave my mother a customary hug and brief kiss on her cheek as I walked past. "Sorry I got caught up and the traffic was heavy."

"Is traffic another euphemism for one of your football games?" Remaining in the doorway my mother crossed her arms against her chest as her eyes swept across her immaculately manicured yard. "I see your by yourself."

Lila Hudson had the art of clipping your wings in a matter of a few select words. She could hit below the belt on any subject, drill her point across and never so much as seem anything less than a lady. In a matter of six words spoken with a directly dry tone my mother had so much as said thank god I didn't bring Julie and in the same breath let her disapproval of my bachelor lifestyle be noted.

Not wanting to engage my mother in this particular subject  I took the opportunity to take my own pot shot. Striking my hand out in the maids direction I introduced myself . "You must be new, my names Noah."

It was well known that my mother had to put it mildly a constant revolving maid staff. Other than Rosa and her sister who had worked for the family for years a maid generally lasted a matter of months before being dismissed for one reason or another. Recently a disgruntled maid tried to sue my mother for wrongful dismissal. Of course the law suit was unfounded but it had become a running joke within the family.

Giving me a sharp look my mother walked between the maid and myself. "Let's go join the others before brunch is served."

My mother loved to grind on and on endlessly about how I needed to find a suitable woman. The natural implication of suitable was one that she approved of and not my current or history of women I had chosen. There had been countless lectures, generally during Sunday brunch, about how it was time for me to step up and accept my responsibilities as a Hudson. I was a grown man set to take over the largest law firm in New York and I had an image to uphold. One that in my mothers opinion included a wife and child.

The moment I stepped into the seating room I realized my mother had stepped upped her game in an unexpected fashion. Taken completely off guard my mother cupped my arm with her hand leading me straight to our surprise guest. Looking to my siblings for help was useless I discovered as they were all snickering to themselves.

"Noah you remember the Donavan's don't you?" My mother looked from me to Racheal expectantly. "This is their daughter Racheal. She is down visiting from Dallas."

I remembered the Donavan's from stuffy charity events and in passing at the club. The wife, if I recalled correctly served on several of the same boards as my mother. 

Shaking Racheal's hand I held it slightly longer than customary. Watching her skin take on a slight pink hue from her blush I flashed her a quick smile. "It's nice to see you again."