Age 9

Dear Papa,
Why haven't you come home yet? Your last letter said you had to stay there. Adrianna's brother is in the army and he was only gone for 2 years. I want you to come home, please. I miss you.

Mommy cries even more now. She doesn't take me to things at school, so I have to walk to Anna's house to get a ride. I HATE Anna. Like there was a poetry recital. I read her my poem to persuade her to come, but she said it wasn't any good and there would be older kids than 4th grade there and I'd make a fool of myself. Then I was sad, and she started to cry and ran into her room.

I can't remember what I sent you in my last letter. It was probably stupid kid stuff. I'm way older now, so I'm lots smarter and I actually know things now. I understand why Dono laughed at me for saying the squirrels were mating. I told Anna because I was embarrassed and sometimes I want to share things with people, and she laughed at me. Then I left her to hang out with Ginny.

What's it like out there? I tried to ask Mr. Hugh because he knows about war, but he yelled at me to leave. He said I'd never need to know because I'm a girl and I'm stupid and lazy and to go away before he beat my ass into the dirt. That sounds really bad. He's a cruel man and I hate him! Mommy said she talked to the principal but nothing has happened so I bet she didn't even talk to the principal.

I really want to say everything that's on my mind, but I'll write it down separately and show it all to you when you get home. That way we don't spend too much money on postage. Mommy says it costs a lot to ship letters overseas, and that's why I can only send one letter a year. That's probably why you only send one a year too. Maybe there are more, but Mommy won't let me read them because they're dirty.

Anyways, I love you!
Natalia