Four

JESS

I couldn't think. My mind unraveled into a messy pile of yarn on the floor into frayed, knotting pieces. Everything happened in quick pounding moments that rattled my brain. Jacob sunk his nasty teeth into Drew's neck and pain smashed a hole into my chest and my weakened foundation crumbled into rubble. The pain dropped me to my knees as my vision darkened around the corners. It was the feeling of death reaching out and asking if I wanted a way out. I realized I had never really experienced pain until that moment.

The next thing I knew Drew was calling my name.

"Drew," I huffed, flinching as my lungs cried out. He was being taken out of the room, I could feel it. A primal growl ripped out of my throat as the lines between myself and my wolf blurred. Underneath my skin, my bones were crunching. They were changing, letting the animal side of me completely take over.

"Stay down Jess," Jacob spat, shoving me back down to my knees. "This is going to be another lesson." My breathing labored as my shoulders rose and fell in shuddering bursts. My teeth were sharpening as Jacob grabbed a handful of my hair. He whispered close to my ear, "let me teach you when it's time to die."

I hocked the biggest wad of spit right in his ugly face. He smirked a little as he wiped it away, right before he wound his fist back and struck me across the face. It was hard enough to nearly knock my lights out. I fell face first into the floor and didn't move. I shut my eyes. With no real plan, I just had to change the ending to this path. This path only led to tragedy, but Drew deserved nothing but a happy ending.

"Useless," Jacob laughed at me. "Loyd, get rid of him and then meet me in the next house. I want you to break him apart and send what's left of him in a dozen different directions. I never even want to hear anyone breath his name again, understand?"

"Yes Alpha," Loyd probably saluted.

"Good," Jacob said and with that, he left out the front door.

My mother once told me that hate was a strong word and yet, every fiber of my being hated that man. It took everything I had to keep still to keep from letting my hot head explode. This would be the only time before my death that I would ever stay that still again. Jacob Coldwell be damned.

Between the two of us and the world outside, the rain made more noise. The floor beneath Loyd creaked. The squeak grew louder the closer he walked towards me until he lorded over my body. The wolf inside me quivered, itching to take a big bite out of him. My blood started pumping faster, pounding at my ears. The transformation started again in my bones as they snapped and cracked to the perfect shape.It was usually less painful. Usually it felt more like stretching a tired muscle. This time I felt every punch, every kick again. Pain spiked up my ribs and I couldn't swallow the gasp that flew out of my mouth.

"What the-" Loyd said, but it was too late.

I stood in front of him on all four legs, growling. Drool and blood dripped out of my mouth, spilling down my fur. The fire inside me blazed and it was turning me into a monster made of steel. Without a second thought, while he stood there gaping and wide eyed, I pounced. I saw red. Before I knew it, I was ripping into his neck and he was screaming. I spat the chunk of meat from my mouth to make room for more and he fumbled backwards. He knocked into my mantle and crumbled. He broke the top in half, taking down the pictures and vases with him. He went out cold and I growled. It wasn't enough. I still had this venom running through my veins and I demanded more of a fight.

No.

Drew.

I had to find Drew. I had to be with Drew. Drew was still in-trouble. I fought my instincts. I struggled to silence my wolf and still think like a human, like the guy who was going to save his mate. I turned the wrong way, feeling another painful split through my side. I shook out my fur and bolted through the door into the rain. I skidded to a stop and pointed my head to the sky. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and Drew's smell filled my lungs. His smell came with the sour twinge of Jacob's filthy mouth and a growl crawled out of my chest. I kicked the mud and rocks and twigs up behind me as I raced through the woods, the back way to the mansion.I followed the trail and found myself in front of the manor in an instant. I had never ran so fast in my life.