Thirteen

JESS

The cold acted like a new layer on my skin, numbing my nose and the tips of my fingers. Even wrapped up in maybe a dozen layers of clothes (based on Grace's demands) and my natural body temperature, hours of being outside still affected me. I shook out the bag of salt onto the walkway to start the deicing, feeling the weight lessen by the second.

"What color is the ground?" I asked Mia, my breath clouding around my face. My sides had started to burn. Earlier, I shoveled the driveway and I changed the oil in Liam's Chevy. I told Liam to give me work. If I worked, I wasn't going crazy watching Drew sleep.

Grace said she also hated watching me watch Drew because apparently, I looked like I could start a fist fight with the Grim Reaper.

"White!" She slammed her foot in the ground. She really liked the way the snow crunched, and I got a kick out of watching her almost fall twelve times a minute. Her curls were smashed underneath a knit cap. She had to tilt her head all the way up so she could take over her scarf. Her puffy coat made her look like a giant pink marshmallow.

"Good. What color is..." I glanced around. "What color is the sky?"

She stopped to scowl at the sky and me. "White?"

"Correct! Which means it's cold! So," I shot her a finger gun. "You need to go back inside, Boss."

"Come back with me," She whined, bobbing on her knees. "I'm bored and no one will play with me."

"Alright," I sighed. With one hand, I grabbed the salt bag and the with the other, I picked Mia off the ground. She squealed and giggled and kicked while I lugged her back to the Inn. The moment my skin touched the heat of the house, my whole body cried out in relief. Mia wriggled out of my hold and dashed into the kitchen. I could only use the kitchen entrance to avoid the guests and the town that basically survived off of Liam's food.

By the sink, Ryan quickly scrubbed at the dirty dishes. He jumped when I dropped the bag of salt. "Oh!" Ryan used the back of his sleeve to wipe his face while his hands were covered in soapy water. "Hey Zach, uh..."

I took off my hat and shook the water out at Mia. I chased her around the kitchen as she screamed.

"Zach!" Ryan called out again and I did a double take when I realized he was talking to me.

"Yeah? What's up?" I stripped off my jacket.

"Grace told me to uh, tell you that Dr. Singh is on his way to check on your friend upstairs. She uh- didn't specify which one."

"Boyfriend, Ryan," I gave him a look as Mia ran out, picking up the kettle and mugs and the packs of hot chocolate. I chuckled, "You don't call the guy you make-out with your friend."

"Right," Ryan let out a high-pitched breath, instantly blushing all over.

"Hey, Mia, what color is Ryan's face?" I lifted her up so she could fill the kettle with water.

"Red!" She cheered and his face went from apple red to rose red.

"Correct, again!" I grinned and kissed the side of her head before letting her run off to grab the marshmallows from the open shelf of goods. There was a walk-in pantry, but there was tons of stuff in label jars and baskets by the wall. Herbs dried from the ceiling, alongside pots and pans.

"Will you turn on the water?" Mia pulled on my sweater. "Mommy said I'm not allowed to touch the stove."

I winked at her and turned on one of the back eyes. "You got it, Boss."