Thirty-Two

DREW

Tomorrow.

Alex did call back.

Jacob would descend upon the town of dearest tomorrow. The mark on my neck tingled and I couldn't quite gulp down a full breath. Looking in the mirror, I scratched the tape keeping the gauze on my neck, until the tape slacked and fell limp. Getting it over with, I finally just ripped the rest of it off.

The mark Jacob gave me competed with Jess' mark. There was a clear difference. Jacob's mark was jagged and still puckered and discolored. The outline of Jess' teeth cut Jacob's mark in two, destroying its original shape, its original control. I touched the scars, running my fingers up and down my warped skin. It didn't hurt as bad to see the scars. A dull ache sat at the pit of my stomach, but I could continue. The memory didn't cripple me.

Jacob however, he was going to be pissed when he saw that Jess ruined his mark. I shuddered, the blood draining from my face. The thought of Jacob in front of me, getting the chance to touch me again made my stomach acids curdle.

"What is it?" Jess asked, walking up behind me.

He put his hands on my waist and kissed over my fingers until he could reach my skin. He littered kisses up my neck, nibbling the spot just behind my ears. I melted inside his arms and ran my hand through his hair. This could be our last night together and I itched to pull back all his pieces and get one last look of the love of my life.

"I'm just nervous," I admitted and stiffened from the look of worry in his eyes. "Like the healthy amount of nervous! Like the kind of nervous that I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow and I wish we could just get it over with kind of nervous, but I'm not nervous that we're going to fail- I'm just-"

Jess enveloped me, like the straitjacket I desperately needed and tried to squeeze the life out of me. "Jess!" I grunted as he hoisted me off the ground and shook me around. Jess dragged me out of the bathroom as I asked, my voice jostling as much as I did "Jess? What are you doing?"

"Everything is going to be alright," Jess grunted and tossed me on the bed. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you. Jacob won't even make it into town long enough to even find you. Cameron and Mark are going to trick him into chasing us through the forest..."

"But it won't be us." I nodded. It had been the millionth time we've gone over the plan, but I liked talking about it. I liked knowing what it was, inside and out. "It'll be Dominic and another wolf."

"His name is Zane," Jess explained and crawled beside me on the bed. He straightened his arm out, looking down at me. "He was one of the wolves Cameron and I pulled out of the cabin, one of Ryan's friends. We can trust him. They'll lead Jacob right into an ambush, far away from us." Jess slid his hand over my check, sliding around to my neck as the rough tip of his thumb ran down my lips, breaking them open. A little sigh escaped my mouth.

He touched the mark again and my face betrayed me as my eyebrows scrunched together. Jess peered at me with his ruby read eyes, examining my inane reaction to such a perfect and gentle touch. "What's wrong?" He asked, tilting his head. "There's some else."

"It's nothing," I lied and grabbed his broad shoulders, pulling him down to my lips. I kissed his warm mouth open and slipped my tongue inside. My fingers combed through his hair and Jess chuckled, breaking my kiss to press his lips to my neck.

"You know, Drew. That's not going to work on me every time," Jess snickered.

He maneuvered over me, spreading my legs apart so he could sit between them. He ripped off his shirt and tossing it behind him to reveal his sculpted chest. He had a black happy trail and more hair around his pecks. I swallowed. The excitement burned the inside of my chest, this heat slid down the edges of my body towards my crotch. Impatiently, I shifted underneath him.