Twenty-Seven

DREW

I finally released the breath I was holding when I saw the Dearest Inn. It was the first time I walked the streets alone, without Jess and the quiet walk home gave me way too much time to imagine the worst. The way Dominic acted, it looked painful. If it was that bad for him, I couldn't fathom the torture Ryan must have been going through.

The image of Jess' paled face as he lied on the floor, in his own blood, when Jacob sunk his teeth into my neck always sat in the back of my head. That faded look in his eyes would be burned into my memory. He was a mirror of my own despair. We were dying together that night, so when Dominic couldn't breathe, I knew what was happening.

"Drew!" Grace called from the front door. "Is it just you?" She asked quizzically, folding her long cable knit robe around herself. It was a charcoal cardigan that reached her ankles. Her words formed clouds around her lips. "Where's Jess?"

"It's-" I caught myself whispering and cleared my throat of the phlegm and the fear. I spoke up, forcing a weary smile. "It's just me."

I reached the front door and Mia barreled into my legs. Pretending to groan, I scooped her off the floor and rested her on top of my hip. She clutched my shirt, looking over my shoulder. "Where's Jess? I- I uh brought him a piece of my grandma's pie."

"You spoil him," I grinned and pulled her into a hug, squeezing her tight. We walked into the Inn's main lobby. One guest sat, lounged across one of the couches on her phone. The dining room doors were open and I saw a couple of business types with coffee and laptops out.

I told Grace as I rubbed her back, "He's just helping Dominic and Cameron with something. He'll be back soon."

"Is everything alright?" Grace quirked a brow. She never missed anything.

"Did you say Cameron?" Mark asked, poking his head out from the couch facing away from me. He put his book down. "What are they doing?"

"Uh..." I eyed Mia and then, Grace.

She read my mind. With a sugary sweet smile, Grace slipped her arms around Mia and sat her on the ground. She said, "Find Daddy, will you? Tell him I need him, okay? He's putting your sister to sleep." She put one of her long fingers over her own lips and whispered, "So, you'll have to be quiet."

"Okay!" Mia used a stage-whisper and covered her lips with a single finger too. She dashed for the stairs, using the railings to pull herself up.

"Why am I getting nervous?" Mark asked, taking to his feet. His hair tonight was a little less styled. Everything about him was a bit more casual as he wore sweatpants, slippers and a hoodie, something I had seen Cameron wear before.

"Something is wrong. Dominic could feel that Ryan was in danger," I said, and Grace gasped, covering her mouth.

"Our mates went with him," I told Mark.

"At least they're together," Mark used a brave face to smile at me. He put his arm around me, rubbing my arm. "We'll wait up together."

"I'm going to tell Liam..." Grace rubbed her face. Her eyes were distant, going through her options. There was no one better at high pressure situations. "I know a few people at the closest hospital. Maybe I can find out something, but Jess still doesn't have a phone..." She started muttering as she walked up the stairs, "... but Cameron does. Maybe I should just go myself and bring the car. Maybe they'll want to rest..."

Mark brought me to a different lounge area. It was the smallest at the Inn and the walls were all windows with ornate floral tiles and emerald green sofas. There were planters all over, empty at the moment. Because of the season, it was a little cool inside, but Mark fixed the fireplace and handed me one of the quilts that waited in a large basket by the couch. He left and soon came back with two cups of tea. By then, the fire had grown hot enough to make me sweat inside the blanket. Handing down my mug, he joined my side.