Chapter 1

Penny in media

Penny's POV
The minute I peel open my eyes my little stepbrother, Jaden, is in my bed bouncing on it and me like a trampoline. " Hi Penny. Good morning Penny. " Jaden giggles, still airborne. I grab him by the ankles and tickle him mercilessly, he screams with laughter and manages to squeal: " Stop! Stop! ". Man, he has a lot of energy for a seven year old!
I tip - toe out of our shared bedroom and take a peek in to my mum's room. Empty, I breathe a sigh of relief then shuffle to the bathroom. I take a look in the mirror and see that my curly, platinum blonde hair is sticking out in unusual places. As I run the bath waiting for it to fill up, Jaden speeds into the room like a tornado. He pushes his shaggy chesnut hair out of his face, " Mum's back! Mum's back! " he pants, with fear in his eyes. I gulp, my mother isn't the kindest of all mums - especially when she's been drinking - she just plain hates me, for some strange reason. Ever since I could remember she's always treated me roughly, like I'm a mistake. The minute she puts her foot through the door I just want to leap from the second floor down to the ground. My mum walks in, there is a deadly silence as she gives me this filthy look, like I am a piece of gum inconveniently stuck to the bottom of her shoe. A tight knot pulls on the inside of my stomach , she stares me down like a predator eyeing its prey. Then mum turns on her heel and marches out of the room, meanwhile the tub is overflowing. After adding my jasmine scented bubble bath and scrubbing my locks thoroughly, I twist my hair into a messy ballerina bun. I pull on my cotton shorts and a loose flowery T - shirt. Avoiding my mother at all costs, I steal ten quid from her purse to buy a McDonald's breakfast. Before pulling on my Converses I hug Jaden tightly and sneak out of the house onto the street.

***********************************
Ugh, biology. My worst subject. Samantha ( Aka: Sam ) and I are strolling down the corridor. We literally have two minutes to make it in time for class, the worst punishment we could get was Saturday detention. Just then, I realised that I left my books in my locker. I wanted to kick myself! I sprint back down the hallway and arrive at the locker spaces, I fumble with my padlock then slam the door shut. I make it just in time, as everyone is about to sit down. At lunch I open my box and sigh at it. A ham sandwich, a cake bar, apple juice and an pear. How nice, I'm lucky my mum didn't poison it. That's moment is when I decide. I will not let my mother abuse me no longer I'm going to stop living in fear and mend my shattered life.