Chapter 11

I walk into the school gates with my heavy bag weighing me down, standing at the door waiting, is Sam. She is beaming from ear to ear, the first thing I ask is :
" What's up? " all I got in return was a shark - like grin. Eventually after some random guesses, she yanks me in the direction of the girls toilets and locks a stall. Sam pulls out a calendar from her backpack; confused, I look at it. Finally she speaks, " Look at this, " she stabs at a circled date, " and two weeks later... Dun Dun Dunnnn. " as she points at her stomach the answer flits to my mind, I push it away not wanting to believe it. Rolling her eyes she says " My period was meant to start two weeks ago, " Sam unzips her rucksack, " Look! " she thrusts a stick in front of my face. A bold red line is imprinted onto it, I know that line all too well. Pregnant.

Sam's POV
Her face is what gives it all away, I can tell she's not happy but not sad. Instead of squealing and throwing herself at me Penny is still. She mutters an excuse and slips out of the door, I put away the pregnancy test and walk out the bathroom. I just didn't want to be left out just because she's had kids. I know it's a bit too early, but I couldn't help myself. I know I shouldn't have done this, but... I went to get a sperm donation. I didn't want to go through the hassle of finding a guy my age who's willing to have sex...

Penny's POV
I am disappointed, Sam is like a sister to me. Me always looking out for her and standing by her side. I remember who she was, an insecure redhead with loads of people picking on her. But she was innocent, clueless to the real world, a world I was introduced to way too early in my life. Now she has gone and got herself impregnated by possibly a fool!

A few months later
Just as she was beginning to show it turned out Sam's body wasn't ready to have a baby. She lost the baby. I don't know how it happened and I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel relieved. I know I'm a total JERK, she's really gutted. Yet I'm having a mini party in my brain; all these thoughts flash through my mind as I lay sprawled on the floor in the sitting room.

00:57 am

I blink hard and rub my eyes, this is the fourth night in a row that King has been out so late. My head swims as my exhaustion takes over I close my heavy lids promising to only ' rest ' .

3am

I snap into consciousness as I hear the back door quietly close, frantically I wipe the dried drool off my cheeks and switch on the main light. Looking like a deer in the headlights, is King , " Oh. Penny, " he says guiltily " umm I was..." I give him a death glare and he shrinks back against the wall. " I'll just be going upstairs. " he states while inching past me, I heave a sigh and follow suit. But before slipping inside our room I sneak a peek in the kids room all sound a sleep.

The next day - 1:13am
Yet again King's not back, what is he doing out there? Each day he is seeing less and less of our kids, every single night he is out so late and sleeps the rest of the day. Trying to talk to him is like. Like... Engaging in conversation with a wall.

Two weeks later
For the past two weeks he returned at about 5am smelling strange and carrying giant, bulky bags. But today I'm going to follow where he goes. " Mum, Dad I'm going round one of my mates house for the night, I might not be back 'til maybe noon tomorrow. "
" Ok " is their reply. King shuts the door with the same duffle bags I saw him carrying yesterday.
He quickly glances behind him and I dive into some nearby bushes, after brushing leaves and dirt off my clothes I creep behind him.

3 hours later
I've followed King all the way to a secluded place from the city, to an abandoned building. Graffiti covers the unstable structure and all of the windows are boarded up with rotting planks of wood. A single sign with wonky writing has a warning:
Beware do not enter this site is unsafe
DO NOT TRESPASS
I shudder at the heavily underlined words, wondering why King would come here.
He enters the dilapidated house, as the door is slammed shut behind him I tiptoe to the windows and peep through the tiny slits in the boards. Inside there's a holey, dusty couch and loads of strange people. I strain my ears to try and hear the conversation that was taking place between King and a lady with faded blue hair a nose ring and multiple colourful tattoos. She was smoking a cigarette, " Yo, King you brought the cocaine right. "
" Ya damn right I did. "
" Right hand me the shit. "
I gasp as he opens a duffle bag and pulls out a container most certainly containing the drugs. Everyone freezes, " Y'all there's someone outside. " Immediately they pull out guns and I stumble backwards trying to get away.

I trip over again and about a dozen people spill out of the door. I start running but they catch up with me and grab my arms roughly while others just aim their guns at me. When I try to break free more people pin me down, " Anyone recognise this bitch? " there are murmurs until someone steps forward " Yes, she's my girlfriend. " I see a few scowls in the darkness, then a high pitched voice speaks up, " But baby you said your single! " the same girl I saw through the window slaps him round the face
" Nigga. "
Tears well in my eyes and my chest feels hollow as there are more voices and I am set free. I fall to the floor my knees trickle soon warm salty water is pouring down my cheeks and my vision is blurry. I manage to see someone looking down at me, King tries to kiss me I push him away, slap him and kick him in the balls. As he's on the ground groaning in pain I run away, it feels like I'm flying. But soon later I'm lost in the middle of nowhere, freezing, heartbroken and betrayed.