Chapter 9: Healing

I saw my mother, pacing. She was so worried after I got that huge gash on my leg but, she believes that Jayfeather and Leafpool will do a good job caring for me. It looked like Silverpaw had lost a bit of her immature kind of part of her, checking in on me, but she still teased me and jumped around excitedly. Looks like that's just who she is. "So......how your leg? Are you okay? What happened? How did the badger find you guys? Why are yo-" Silverpaw was interrupted by Leafpool. "How am I supposed to treat a patient who is constantly being asked questions?", staring at Silverpaw and Dovewing. Jayfeather walked in, and snorted. "Well, I suppose now the medicine den is supposed to be half full of cats who don't need treatment. Or maybe you need a fresh bandage for that hole in your brain?" he asked Silverpaw, his sightless eyes squinting at her. "I'm good, thank you." Silverpaw spat back before leaving the den. I laughed a bit. 'Can I go now?" I asked Leafpool. "Sure, just don't over-exert it, no hunting, no border patrolling, no battle training....". "Come on!" I muttered. "Well if you really want to do something, you can help me treat the elders for ticks." Leafpool proposed. "That's a boring job, but ok, because I have nothing better to do." I shrugged. So Leafpool handed me some mouse bile soaked moss wrapped in a leaf and warned me not to taste any of it, unless I wanted to taste mouse guts for a few days. In the elder's den, Leafpool was checking over the elders like they were made of flower petals. "No illness? No cracked pads? No-" Leafpool asked. "Well, we don't have "no ticks" so you better get on with it!" Purdy rasped. "Young 'un got mauled by a badger eh?" he asked, looking at me, "When I was a young cat, I fought off a badger all by myself. Young cats really don't have that skill these days." he told me. I quietly dabbed a few ticks off with the mouse-bile while wrinkling my nose. "I guess." I told Purdy, remembering Dovewing's warning to respect elders. I kind of wish I told Leafpool I didn't want to work. I mean, the elder was impressive and all but, I just became an apprentice less than a moon ago!

  Sprucepaw was in the medicine cat nearly every day, but she was slowly getting back to training. She would be a fine medicine cat, as she learned some tactics and skills that a medicine cat needs to learn. But I guess like me, Sprucepaw was really a warrior. She helped me collect moss for the elders today, and she was hardly limping at all now. "When can you get back to training?" I asked her one day. "Leafpool says a few days, but I feel like I missed so much! I mean, I can barely hunt, patrol, or fight!" Sprucepaw lamented. "Oh come on, Birchfall and Whitewing said you learn really fast and you're a natural fighter! You got that duck and twist move faster than me, and you were still limping that day!" I reassured her. "I guess." she nodded. "Come on", I said, flexing my claws into the moss before deciding I had enough, "Let's get back to camp. We have enough moss.". We both picked up our bundles and headed towards the stone hollow. I settled my moss into Millie's nest, and she purred. "It's been so long since we had nests this soft, Larkpaw and Leafpaw left so many twigs and stones in their bundles, I thought we were sleeping in thorns!" she purred. "Good job, young 'uns. I think you deserve a story." Purdy said. "So did I talk about the cats' journey through the Twolegplace? No? Well, let me tell you, without me, they would've never got through that dark, big place. So it was a night, yeah, night, when I let them in my home, generous, was I, I could've clawed their eyes out.." he started, but soon Whitewing came in the den. "Sorry Purdy, they have to go now." she told him. "Next time, young 'uns!" Purdy called. Well, I guess elders really love bragging. Six cats, no one of his age could fight six cats, all of them fine warriors!