Chapter 28: The Birth of 3 Stars

I was so excited! "I think today is the day, Spruceshade. Prepare yourself!" I said, happily. "Ugh, no!" she groaned, her stomach so large it was almost touching the ground. Jayfeather padded to us. "Okay, Spruceshade. Back to the nursery. Your kits are coming." he instructed, "Don't move. Just lie there, and I'll help you with the rest. Silverstorm, you can come, but not Larkwing.". Larkwing opened his mouth to protest, but he instead sat at the entrance, pacing. Spruceshade was now gasping a bit. "Why does it hurt?" she complained. "Because your muscles are working hard to push the kits out. When the time comes, you have to help as well." Jayfeather placed his paw on Spruceshade's stomach. She groaned in pain as a ripple passed through her stomach. "The first one is coming..." Jayfeather said, "Okay, Spruceshade, push!". Spruceshade let out a groan of effort, and a wet bundle of fur slid into the moss. Daisy instinctively started to lick its fur the wrong way. Spruceshade gasped, her flank heaving with effort. I peaked outside, seeing Larkwing's worried and horrified face. "How many more?" I asked, worried. "Two." Jayfeather answered, concentrating hard. Another ripple passed through Spruceshade's stomach, as a second kit rolled out, wailing. "Okay, lick it the wrong way!" Jayfeather instructed. I licked the fur of the kit in the opposite direction of the pelt, feeling its warm flesh underneath my tongue. "The last one is big. Okay, Spruceshade, this is going to hurt, so bite on this stick." Jayfeather pushed a big stick underneath Spruceshade's jaws, and she gripped it tightly. The ripples pushed through the her stomach again, and she wailed. "Okay, not long now..." Jayfeather murmured. She then gasped in relief as the last kit rolled out, a big tom. "Eat some borage." Jayfeather gave some herbs to Spruceshade, who ate them obediently, cringing at the bad taste. "You did it Spruceshade! Three healthy kits..." I squealed. Spruceshade looked up. "Can Larkwing come in now?" she asked. Jayfeather nodded, and Larkwing bolted into the den. "Spruceshade... you have three kits! All beautiful little kits... just like you and me!" he was gasping in happiness. "Okay. How about this, I name one, Silverstorm names one, and Larkwing names one?" she suggested. "Okay." I agreed. Spruceshade flicked her tail at the one she was helping to keep warm by licking. "This one is going to be Sandkit." she declared, proudly looking at the huge tom with sand-colored stripes and darker fur underneath, with its white belly. It's eyes hadn't opened yet, thought, and it was latching on to Spruceshade's belly. "Okay... I'll name this one Stormkit." I decided, looking at a light gray tom with black stripes. His tail was fluffy, just like mine, and it had a white tail tip. "Hey, he looks like you, Silverstorm..." Larkwing realized, before looking at the last kit. "Shadekit. That's a good name, right?" Larkwing smiled, looking at a black she cat with a white patch on her head and the bottom half of her body turned white, with darker flecks and a black tipped tail. She looked really pretty, even with her eyes closed and squirming around. "Nice names." Spruceshade agreed, "They're great kits.".