Let Bygones Be Bygones

Just as the last few weeks had progressed, there was a very predictable routine that was followed every day. His shift at the infirmary would begin, where Law would have to endure the multitude of questions from Tara, then to lunch several hours later, before returning to the infirmary for the most part remaining of the day. It was miraculous Law hadn't already resorted to cutting people up to work on them, considering just how bored he had become of staying in that blasted trailer all day. God knew he'd memorized which medications they had stocked ten times over already, to the point he could recite them alphabetically in his sleep.

Still, he remained silent, willing to bear the awful situation as it presented itself. This was for Shachi and Penguin who, every time he passed them by or saw them in the camp, seemed much happier than before. In the short time they'd spent living amongst these people, the two mechanics had apparently hit it off quite well with the others in the construction team, spending most of their time with them, lounging around or off building the wall around the garden not too far from the camp.

It'd be lying if Law tried convincing himself he wasn't a bit jealous of the easy bond they'd grown between the other camp members. Seeing them so trusting and willing to place that unwavering faith in someone they didn't know so quickly...Although, Law's obvious lack of friendships around the camp was due to his own reluctance to pursue any. If he'd put in the necessary effort, he was sure he could do the same. Before the world went to shit, he'd had plenty of friends. But now...he just...didn't want to. The thought of working towards that felt like more effort than it was worth, honestly.

These exact thoughts were swirling around his head as he sat in the middle of the camp eating his light lunch of stale crackers and the last few sips of a water bottle. Obviously it wasn't much, but it was enough to get by for the time being. He knew in another hour, his stomach would begin grumbling from the lack of food overall, the lunch doing very little in terms of curbing anyone's hunger, but there was nothing to be done about that.

There had been a light rain storm passing over for the past few days, leaving the camp waterlogged and damp for the most part. The air felt moist and heavy, even though the sun was currently beating down on them, causing an unbearably moist heat that was exhausting and uncomfortable. Law shift positions in his chair, munching noisily on his crackers, when he heard the squish of footsteps approaching him in the damp earth.

Looking up, he saw Penguin and Shachi saunter up, albeit a bit awkwardly, with small smiles. Law straightened instinctively. It had been some time since they'd initiated contact with him so openly, only conversing when they happened to be near. This was the first time since their fight that they'd openly sought him out.

"Uh, hiya Law." Shachi said, leaning on one leg with a cocked hip.

"Hey." He responded shortly, not quite sure what else to say.

Penguin looked away hesitantly, the discomfort practically pouring from his posture. Finally, he turned to Shachi and nodded, some silent sign Law didn't understand.

"I'll, uh, leave you two to it." The redhead got the message, walking away with a shrug. This left Penguin and Law alone for the first time in a long time.

"You can sit, if you'd like." Law offered the closest chair a few feet away. Nodding again, Penguin grabbed it and scooted it closer, facing the fire pit that was several yards away. He sat slouching comfortably, hands still in his jean pockets.

Law continued to eat his light lunch, waiting for Penguin to say what he was there to say. Neither spoke a word for several minutes, the casual background noise of the camp and the crunching of Law's crackers the only thing marking a passage of time. Law was worried this was the 'It's not you, it's me' equivalent to cutting off their friendship, seeing as Shachi had left them alone. Perhaps this was the end of the line, where they no longer desired him sticking around if it was only for their sakes...