We Meet Again

The very first thing that Lexi remembered feeling when she woke up was that...hell, she shouldn't be waking up at all. Hadn't she been escaping through the forest? Running for her life? Was this...heaven? If there even was such a thing...Or even...hell? The sharp pain in her side and shoulder brought the small amount of her consciousness that hadn't fully awakened yet up to the forefront, and she grimaced at the sensation of pain. Shit, maybe this was hell. Given the circumstances and the things she'd past done, there was little surprise she'd end up there...

Her ears picked up a faint creak, before other things began to register as her senses began to function again. Slowly, she cycled through them all, the pain from her body ebbing and easing in a steady yet predictable current.

Scent: some dingy, moldy linen smell, coupled with the metallic tang of blood, so faint she almost could imagine it wasn't there. And something...strangely...familiar. Had she been here before? Ridiculous, the next familiar place was miles and miles away, in her small hometown of Virginia.

Taste: her jaw slowly worked back and forth as Lexi's tongue tried rehydrating her mouth with saliva, but it did little in terms of easing the dryness. It had been at least a day or so since her last drink of water, though she could vaguely remember stealing a mouthful or two from the streams while on the run.

Hearing: there were a few other creaks, as if her surroundings were unstable, not fixed in one place. It confused her, because the cages hadn't ever sounded like that. The metallic bangs and clinks of chains against metal bars had a different ring to them then the dull bumps and creaks of where she currently was. And, uh...where exactly was this? That was the most important question at the moment.

Touch: her fingers twitched, feeling the scratchy linen beneath her. It wasn't as comfortable as a conventional bed, but at least it wasn't the cold sting of concrete or metal, as she'd come to get used to over the past month. Her head lay against something firm yet comfy, like a pillow, however the warm metal of her collar was still present on her neck.

Sight: this one came last, as the exhaustion of her previous escape attempt had leeched most of her energy, coupled with the harsh elements of the storm, and her already low nutrition level. It was too much even to think about moving, let alone to actually do it. But, with great effort and a whole lot of encouraging herself, her eyes cracked open into thin slits.

For several moments, she couldn't even see through the tiny sliver of her opened lids, still disoriented and confused, until blinking a few slow times finally helped to clear the film. The darkness of the room left little to see as she finally was able to do so, other than a riveted, metal ceiling. Or, at least, she thought it was a ceiling. For all Lexi knew, her sense of direction and orientation could also be skewed.

"Nngh..." She groaned through chapped lips, somehow managing to tilt her head enough so it fell to rest facing to the right. The collar made that a bit difficult, adding weight. Her bleary vision was clear enough to make out some aspects of the room, but not enough to truly understand where she was. A counter, with various unidentifiable items atop the surface. Two windows above them, thin curtains covering the glass and blocking any light from entering. However, since no light poured in, she assumed it was night. A plush-looking chair or seat further down, darkly colored but too black to really tell. A door, set just before the chair, and just at the edge of her vision. From where she lay, it appeared to be the only entrance and exit to the room.

The room itself was strangely shaped; long and narrow, instead of cubical in nature, with a metal roof? What was this place?

Once her vision had returned to a relatively normal level, she began to panic, unable to come up with an answer to where in the hell she actually was. Was this the camp? Had they found her? In that case, why wasn't she already dead? They'd obviously been ready to resort to lethal means to capture her, as the gunshot wound in her side attested to, but-