Army of the Dead

"Everything looks good..." Shachi muttered, double-checking the angle of the aerial fireworks they'd aimed directly at the raider house. Judging it in the darkness was difficult, but to the best that he could see, it was about where they wanted it. Hopefully the angle would still allow the gunpowder inside to light properly. They weren't exactly being used as directed.

They'd holed up in the house directly across the street as the last phase of their plan. He made sure to keep below the second floor bedroom's window line as much as possible. It wasn't likely that they'd be seen with it being so dark outside but having their cover blown beforehand would make this all for naught. One couldn't be too careful.

Behind him, Penguin nodded. "Ok, you know when to light them?"

"Yup, once you've rounded that corner." He jerked a thumb in the general direction of the street corner he would be coming from. "So long as none of them misfire things should go ok."

"Nice...now, to put it into action." Penguin let out a breath, grabbing the jacket that was too big for him and a set of pants they'd found within the house. At least those were his size, but they'd both be ruined very soon. No use in keeping them after all this.

"Screwdriver?" Shachi asked, and Penguin felt it securely tucked behind his waistband.

"Yup."

"Pistol?"

"Got it." Right next to the screwdriver.

He looked around again, patting himself down for anything he was missing. He wouldn't need much, but he didn't want to get out there and realize that the one integral part of their plan was back here with Shachi. "Shit, where'd I put the lighter?"

The redhead dug in his pocket and produced it. "Here. You left it sitting on the table."

"Thanks."

For a moment, they both stood there, thinking over their plan and unsure of what to say now, until Shachi cleared his throat. "You know...you don't have to be the one to go out there. Say the word and I'll do it, no questions asked."

Penguin nodded, barely able to see him in the darkness, but clapped a hand onto his shoulder. Through all the steps of preparation Shachi had asked if he was sure about this. Obviously it wasn't settling well with the redhead.

"I'll be alright...it'll go off without a hitch. Just watch. Besides, it was my plan to begin with. It wouldn't sit right with me if I wasn't the one putting myself in danger to make it happen."

"Yeah." Shachi said reluctantly, feet shifting in place. He knew Penguin would say that, as he did all the other times, but he also didn't cherish the thought of being fairly protected in the house while his friend was out there in the darkness. They went to separate but he reached forward, pulling him into a quick, tight hug. "Just be careful...I want all four of us getting out of here alive."

"We will." He promised, pulling away and stepping towards the hallway. He pointed back at his friend meaningfully. "Don't get killed on your way back to the rendezvous point."

______________________

Penguin stepped outside in his borrowed clothing, taking in the warm evening with a long breath. If everything worked out well, they'd have their friends back in no time, and the raiders would either be dead, or scatter enough that they wouldn't be much of a threat left. One misstep and he was zombie chow.

His portion of the plan was simple, though undoubtedly the most dangerous. But before he could begin...

He stalked through the darkness, listening for the tell-tale groaning of the undead to guide him, keeping an ear out for any alerting noise that indicated one had sensed him in some way. Finding a zombie wasn't difficult, though he needed one by itself in order to get what he needed. Running across a pack right now was bad news.