Chapter 26 | Creating Interference

CREATING INTERFERENCE 

My breath makes little clouds as it escapes my parted lips. A car flies by, creating a flash of light in the dark, clouded night. I feel a drop of water land on my cheek. The dark, lanky, figure before me has his back to me.

He hasn't seen you... take the chance to get the heck out of here, who knows what kind of rapist, creeps, hang out by the highway at night! I tell myself. Looking both ways, I make a quick dash across the highway before a set of truck headlights come my way. The truck passes me and when I look up I freeze once again. 

The man has joined me on this side of the road. Another drop of water; this time on the top of my head. Cold shivers run down my spine and my heart continues to pump furiously in my chest. In the corner of my eye, I see the low level farm fence on my right. I don't know whose field this is, or how far away from the turnoff I am, but I make my decision. 

Jumping the fence, the heavens open, and a light rain begins. I walk away directly away from the highway and keep an idea of the general direction of my house in mind. The rain begins to soak the ground beneath me and my school shoes slush about in the mud. What I wouldn't give for my raincoat and wellingtons right now. 

Just as I feel myself calm down a bit, I look back to highway and my heart skips a beat. I feel the colour drain from my face and a cold wind suddenly rips through the countryside. Keeping up with my pace is the figure, his head bowed and hands in the pockets of his jacket. I curse under my breath. 

I turn back around and start to walk a bit faster, almost breaking into a jog. The rain is getting heavier. I turn my head again and see that he is still keeping up with me. Looking back at the stretches of grass before me I search for the glow of the lights from a house... maybe look for a barn... something where I can hide from this guy. Even a flock of sheep would be good enough cover!

The rain pelts down on my back as I start running, mud flicking up onto the back of my legs with every hasty attempt to create distance between me and him. My bag smashes against my back with every step and my legs burn. 

Suddenly I'm grabbed from behind, strong, bony fingers grasping my wrist and holding me back from running. I scream from his touch, but I don’t give up.

With every push forward, he equals it with a pull back. I keep pushing forward and steal a chance to look my attacker in the face. There's no light out here, but I find the outline of a hood over the guy’s head. I can’t make out any facial features; there isn't any light in his eyes... nothing but darkness and his tight grip on my right wrist.

Suddenly I'm slapped across the face.

"Are you stupid?" he suddenly yells over the rain.

My cheeks sting from the slap, but he definitely has my attention. His voice is deep and rough... almost as if it's from a different realm of being. I stop struggling for a second and frown, confused. Before I can go to ask what he's going on about, he speaks again.

"This," he starts, rolling the sleeve of my blazer up with his freehand, and pressing a cold finger onto my scar, "Is a reminder... a warning of what I can do... and what I've asked you to do, Lucy," he says.

Realisation washes over me; it's the Keeper. 

"Haven't I made it obvious enough for you? You're meant to be helping Ryden, not creating havoc!" he yells at me.

"I'm trying!" I yell back, finding my strength.

"Well try harder!" he yells back with the same integrity.

"An upset ghost creates lots of interference. I don't like interference- Look, just, keep Ryden close... but not too close... He can't accomplish that last wish... I won't allow it-"