Johnny

I felt like I was in heaven. I had somehow gotten Lily to let me show her around the school. If I didn't want to admit before that I had a serious crush on her, there was no denying it now.

Her demeanor was that of a reserved and shy girl and being around her, even just for a few minutes I could tell she was very sweet and kind person.

"And this is the main office. You know where you go for papers or schedules, For me- going to the principal's office," I said pointing toward the office. She turned to me and smiled. God! She's beautiful. I thought.

"You have a really nice smile. Its beautiful," I said. She looked away bashfully and muttered a thank you.

"I'm sure you hear that all the time though." I stated.

"W-well my mama used to say that to me. . . But that's all," she said. I nodded and continued down the hallway.

"Do you like it here? The school? The people?" I asked trying to make small talk.

"Yes. Everyone here is really nice,"

"Did you hear we're having a school dance?"

"Yes. Mae told me this morning actually," she said.

"Yeah? You planning on going?"

"Oh. I don't know. . . Are you?"

"Most likely. My aunt will probably make me go. Just gotta find a da-" I was interrupted by the first bell. Soon students started to swarm into the halls. Lily's friend ran up to her and pulled her away. Lily looked back at me and gave me a small wave. I quickly returned it. I sighed as I walked to my locker. Bennie stood there leaning against it.

"Hey man," I said. I looked up at his face that was filled with anger.

" I saw you talking to Lily. Saw you take her up in the school by y'all selves," he said.

"Okay and? Is there a problem?" I asked.

"You know I like her Johnny,"

"How am I suppose to know that? You didn't tell me. You just walked off yesterday without a word." I yelled.

"What was y'all doing in here?"

"I was just showing her around. She's new and I -- being the gentleman that I am-- offered to show her around. I repeat is there a problem?" I asked.

He pushed himself off the locker and stood so close to my face that our noses almost touched.

"You betta' watch yo' back Johnny," he said before letting go and walking away. Bystanders quickly averted their eyes as I looked around. I grabbed my books out of my locker and walked to class avoiding eye-contact with anyone.

"You actually made it to class before the bell," Mrs. Lewis joked. I attempted a smile and started towards my seat.

"Johnny, are you alright?" Mrs. Lewis said after me. I turned to her.

"I'm fine," I muttered. She frowned but didn't say anything else. I decided to sit as far away from Bennie as possible. So I sat in one of the front desks. People began flooding in amd taking their seats. Sarah and Misty soon filed in. Sarah's eyes narrowed as she approached me.

"Johnny?" She questioned.

"Hmm?" I said not bothering to look up.

"Why are you sitting in the front? You always--"

"I'm mixing it up. I don't want to be no prude sitting in the same spot all year," I lied. From the corner of my eye I saw her shake her head before she walked to her seat.