Lily

"Due to the mass fighting last week, we will not be having a homecoming dance. There will be no extracurricular activities. Lunches will be shorten to forty minutes and classes will be segergated until further notice," the principle announced. He stood on the stage in the auditorium overlooking all of the students in the school.

I let out a small sigh of relief because I actually felt happy about the cancellation of the dance. I didn't really want to embarrass myself in front of the student body with my terrible dance moves. 

Mae quietly groaned beside me, "This ain't right."

She was one of many who quietly voiced their opinions, but only one person actually voiced theirs aloud. 

"Mr. Foxe, please don't cancel the dance!"

Every head turned to the standing Johnny. 

"Mr.  Johnson--"

"It was my fault! The fights. I was the one who started it all. Please don't punish the whole school 'cause of me."

A random voice shouted out in agreement. And soon many others joined in until the entire auditorium was filled with agreeing shouts. 

Mr. Foxe raised his hand in order to silence the auditorium.

"Mr. Johnson, please report to my office," he looked around at the teachers, "Please resume your classses."

The teachers stood and began ushering their classes out.

I watched as Johnny walked out of line and down the center aisle of the auditorium, heading straight toward Mr. Foxe.

"Go on, Lily!" Mae said giving me a small shove.

I muttered an 'I'm sorry' and continued walking. 

The rest of the day went by slow. Johnny never returned to class and a few white students whispered he had gone home.

The final bell rung and everybody dashed out. I slowly left the classroom and walked to my locker.

I grabbed the few books I needed for homework and started toward the door.

The halls were basically bare, except for a few teachers.

I walked past the office and stopped as I saw Johnny walking out.

His blue eyes caught mine as he walked into the hall. He lifted his hand and waved. 

I gave him a half smile and waved back.  I hugged my books to my chest and hurried out of the school.

I managed to get to the end of the school steps before I heard Johnny's feet pounding the pavement. 

"Hey!" he yelled after me. I turned and waited as he rushed down the steps. 

"Hey." He said again through a smile as he caught up to me.

"Hey. . . I thought you went home already." I said.

He shook his head, "No. . . I was in the office all day."