Lily

"Let me walk you home," Bennie said flashing his nice smile.

"I can walk myself," I said declining his offer. I knew if I was late my daddy was going to tear me a new one, so I swiftly walked around him and out of the school doors. I could hear his heavy footsteps following me

"Awe. C'mon now. I thought you liked me,"

I stopped and turned to face him. "N-no I do. You-"

"Then let me walk you home," he said with smirk. I sighed defeated and nodded my head. He smiled and ran up to me throwing his arm around my shoulder.

"So, I saw you walk into the school early this morning with Johnny. What was y'all doing?"

I turned to him shocked. "He was just showing me around the building. So I can get around better," I explained.

He nodded. "Yeah. Thats what he told me too. I just wanted to make sure. I don't want you getting into trouble or anything,"

"Trouble?"

"Its a rule at our school that kids of different race can't be in the school before or after school by themselves without somebody watching them," he explained. " if y'all woulda got caught you probably be suspended,"

"Oh. . ." I said as we kept walking down the trail to my house. I removed his arm from my shoulders as we approached the house.

"This is it," I said nodding my head in the direction of the house.

"I see yo' daddy didn't fix up the house yet," he commented. I looked away embarrassed.

"He been working. He comes home too tired to fix it. But he will," I stated.

"Now don't get all sad on me. I didn't mean to say nothin' to hurt yo' feelings,"

I kept my head turned away, ignoring his words.

"Hey now," I felt his hand gently tilt my chin around to face him. "How would you like to be my date to the homecoming dance?" He asked.

I stood still as I tried go think of a way I could decline. "Well, I ain't got no dress for that. And I can't dance to save my life. I'd probably shame you," I stated honestly.

"I'm sure mae got a dress you can wear. And anybody can dance. C'mon! Don't let me go by myself now. I want you to be my date," he stepped closer grabbing a stray curl from my head and placed it back in its spot.

"Okay," I sighed. His face lit up. He grabbed me by my waist and lifted me up.

"Oh set me down!" I yelled. He put me back on the ground and kissed my cheek before running off. I giggled and walked up the path to my house.

"Who was that?!"

I looked up to see my daddy fuming on the front porch. Nearly an empty bottle of vodka in his hand.

"Daddy he-"

"You out there being some harlot? Kissing boys and God knows what else,"

"No its not-"

"Shut the hell up!" He yelled as he grabbed me by my hair and dragged me into the house. I winced at his force. Throwing me on the floor he turned around and slammed the front door. Taking off his belt he turned back to me.

"Daddy please!" I begged as I tried to scramble out of his reach. But he was faster.

WHACK!

"I ain't raise no slut!"

WHACK!

"Let me see anotha' boy 'round here!"

WHACK!