Lily

I had fallen in love.

I think this boy has finally worked his magic on me.

Ever since I came home last night I had been in this type of daze. I had been replaying our night in the treehouse over and over in my mind. I thought about his deep blue eyes locking on me. His pointed nose trailing from my face to my neck. His soft lips on mine. His strong hands lightly gripping my thighs.

"Mmm..ngh." Rose uttered from her deep slumber as she turned over. Her hand hitting me right in the face in the process. And although it was annoying, It was enough to stop my racing thoughts. I gently pushed her hand out of my face and sat up, rubbing my eyes with frustration. I peered over at Rose as she smacked her lips and snuggled deeper into her pillow. I let out a soft chuckle and slowly eased out of bed.

I walked quietly down the stairs and into the dark kitchen. I tipped toed to the window above the sink and opened the curtains. Allowing the barely noticeable light from the rising sun to flow in. I flicked on the light switch and made my way to the refrigerator.

I decided that since I was up so early that I might as well make breakfast.

I got out the pots and pans and started cooking. I must have been in the kitchen for a good thirty minutes before I heard my father's heavy footsteps coming down the stairs.

"You up early." He mumbled as he turned the corner.

"Yes sir. Just making some breakfast. You hungry?" I asked happily.

He raised his eyebrows in a amusement. "I take it you had you a good time at that dance. Got you all happy and smiling."

I turned away bashfully, "Yes sir."

He nodded slowly, "Well, you let me know when you done cooking. Imma head on outside and start working on the yard."

I turned to him in surprise, "Alright."

He gave me a small nod before turning and heading outside.

I smiled to myself and finished making the meal. I called daddy in and woke up both Rain and Rose. And for the first time in a long time, we all ate together.

The tension in the air was thick between daddy and Rain, but neither said anything to start an argument.

"I'm going to Mae's house in a little bit." I said as I got up to clear the table.

"How long you gonna be there?" Daddy asked.

"A couple hours." I mumbled.

"Alright."

I could barely hide my smile as I washed dishes and raced up the stairs to put on clothes.

I was down and out the door within a few minutes.

I glanced over at Mae's house and contemplated if I should ask her to lie for me, because my intentions were not the purest. I longed to see Johnny today and I knew that lying to my family and sneaking over to see him was my best option.

But my paranoia got the best of me as I turned and knocked on the front door.

The door swung open and the disheveled Mae stood there. Her eyes bucked as she realized it was me, "Lily! Uh--hey girl. I was meaning to talk to you." She stammered as she patted down her hair and clothes.

"I was actually about to--"

She reached out and grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the house before I could finish my sentence.

"Mama! I got company!" She yelled down the hall to her mother.

She gripped my arm tightly and pulled me up the stairs to her bedroom. She let me go as she closed the door.