Eighth Year

I sighed and closed my book.  It was already 9am. I grabbed my school trunk and dragged it downstairs.

"Ah, Hermione. You're ready" came the voice of Mrs Weasley as I walked into the kitchen of the Burrow.

"Yep" I replied as I sat down at the breakfast table and took a bite of toast.
Suddenly, I felt a pair of warm arms wrap around me and I jumped from the quick movement.

"Ron, don't scare me like that" I whined as he did give me quite a shock.

" Children, now we are going to floo to Kings Cross" said Mrs Weasley.

I took Ron's hand and he threw the glittering powder over us and shouted "Kings Cross station." I felt the strange sensation of being sucked through a tube and finally being spurted out by the ticket office.

I grabbed my trunk from Mr Weasley and loaded it into a trolley, then ,making sure that nobody was around, took a run up and burst through the wall into the Hogwarts station.

I hugged Mrs Weasley goodbye. " Thanks for having me this summer." I whispered. "No problem dear." She replied.

Waving goodbye, me,Harry, Ron and Ginny boarded the train. Ginny ran off to find her own friends as I followed Harry and Ron into  an empty compartment.

As I sit down, I remember that it is the prefect meeting soon and McGonagall asked me to meet her earlier.

" Guys, I've got to go to see McGonagall." I said to the others.
"Kay", Harry said 
"I bet it's cause your going to get head girl" added Ron.

" I don't know " I said " See you later."

After giving Ron a quick kiss on the cheek, I made my way down to the front of the train.

When I get there I see McGonagall waiting for me. "Miss Granger, nice to see you. Have you any idea why I called you here today?'

"No professor"  I replied.
" Well I must first say congratulations on becoming head girl."
My heart pounded. Yes, I had done it
"Who is the head boy? I ask out of curiosity
"Mister Malfoy, and, as a word of wisdom, try to get on as you will be sharing a common room for the next year."
"Ok" I reply as I made my way to my compartment. But, why did they choose him?