7| NEW LIFE

It was around lunch time when Emmy left the maintenance building, she planned on meeting Tanya for lunch. The warm sun barely reached the maintenance facility as it was hidden away by some large trees around the back of the building. The gentle breeze felt nice against her skin as she walked along the stone path towards the medical centre. She smiled at a few of the children who were running around with their parents watching from the front of their houses on wicker chairs and colourful pillows, some resting on hammocks as they swayed in the breeze. Emmy loved the sight of people relaxing, it relaxed her as well. It was a nice change of scene from the past week when she was stuck in the hospital.

As she was walking, a large bug started flying towards her. Emmy wasn't sure what to make of it, or what is was, but she held her hand out and allowed the insect to land on her finger. It had a large round head with big circular eyes, a long body and six twig-like legs sticking out while its four—almost transparent—winds fluttered slightly, making a small humming noise. A few of the children stopped running around and collected themselves around Emmy. She wasn't sure how to act around them as she crouched down to let them see the bug better. A few giggled and tried to touch it while others let out small screams before laughing as well.

"I see you've found a dragonfly." Emmy heard Commander Taylor as he walked up to her.

"So, that's what this is?"

"Yeah, a lot bigger than what they will be in the future, but they are still the same."

"It's beautiful," Emmy murmured as it fluttered its wings once more and moved over her hand, its small legs holding onto her.

Commander Taylor nodded. "They can be a nuisance sometimes. Isn't that right, Leah?" He asked a small blonde haired girl, who was much smaller than most of the other children, her arm was wrapped around a smaller blond boy who was smiling widely at the bug.

"Yes." She nodded, she had a lisp from where her front two teeth were missing.

Commander Taylor smiled. "Peanut over here and her brother, Sam, came during the same pilgrimage as yourself," he commented just before the dragonfly lifted from Emmy's hand and took off flying, a few of the children chasing it, along with Leah and her brother.

"They seem to have settled in well." Emmy smiled, watching them run off.

There was silence when Commander Taylor just nodded and smiled at the children. "They don't know any better."

"I guess so."

He cleared his throat. "So, how did the job search go? Am I looking at Terra Nova's new mechanic or what?"

Emmy looked down with a small laugh. "Jaived wasn't opposed to some help around the place."

"He's a good kid."

Emmy nodded before sucking in a deep breath. "I hate to run off but I'm meet up with Tanya for lunch."

Commander Taylor waved her off. "Sure, go ahead. There's work I need to be doing anyway."

She watched as he continued to walk off, she wasn't sure where, but she doubted that she needed to know anyway. When she turned around to keep walking, she saw that the group of children were running back, continuing to play, almost forgetting to dragonfly completely. Emmy took in the warmth of the sun, smiling as she looked up at the light blue sky, a few white puffy clouds blew over the colony slowly. It was times like this when Emmy appreciated all that Tanya and Michael had done for her, she knew she had to come up with a way to thank them properly, but she wasn't sure how.