[1] Hogwarts Letter

"I'm gonna get you!"

I squealed, running down the stairs of the Burrow. Ronald's, my twin's, laughter could be heard behind me. The wooden boards creaked and groaned beneath my weight, but I knew they wouldn't cave. The Burrow was odd but dependable, just like the witches and wizards inside of it. My family was one of the oldest magical bloodlines in the wizard world. I had six brothers and one little sister, eight of us altogether along with our parents.

As I stepped off the staircase onto the ground level, my brothers- the other pair of twins- Fred and George ambushed me.

"Got you!" They said in sync as they trapped me.

"Ahhh!" I stumbled and fell back onto the steps. I groaned at the pain entering my backside. Ron, Fred, and George jumped on me and started attacking me with tickles.

"Stop! Stop it!" I howled with laughter. My brothers didn't care, only chuckling and continuing on.

Bang!

It was deathly silent. No one dared move.

"Fred! George!" My older brother Percy shouted. It sounded like he was in the bathroom.

"Boys!" My mum, Molly Weasley, stomped down the stairs to us. She laid her hands on her hips and gave my older twin brothers a stern look. "Fred, George, did you put a dung bomb in Percy's toilet?!"

"Of course not, Mum," Fred said innocently.

"Why would you ever think that?" George asked.

I concentrated on the twins minds and easily reached inside them.

Haha! That was bloody brilliant!

We have got to try that at school!

I pointed at them and smiled evilly. Now for my revenge. "Liars! You did it!"

Fred and George both gapped at me in disbelief. They probably had forgotten that I knew their every thought.

"Traitor!" George shouted.

"I can't believe you ratted us out," Fred exclaimed. "Stupid Legilimency!"

"That's what you get for attacking me!" I laughed in delight. Legilimency is the magical skill of extracting feelings and memories from another person's mind—a form of magical "telepathy" you could say. It also allows one to convey visions or memories to another person, real or imaginary. A witch or wizard possessing this skill is called a Legilimens, and can, for example, detect lies and deceit in another person, witness memories in another person's past, or "plant" false visions in another's mind. This skill can be learned by anyone, though it's not normally taught in school. I am a Legilmens, but I did not learn this magic. Instead, I was born will the talent of it. People say I'm gifted. I don't know if they're right yet. I have permission from my family that it was okay to look into their heads, but I don't dare read other people's minds. Sometimes it can be difficult; my ability is powerful and a part of who I am. I don't like taking away people's privacy without permission. This magic can be a burden sometimes.

"Now, now," Mum waved her hands dismiss-fully. "You know Rory can't help it. But you boys can stop pulling pranks on your brother. Percy doesn't need anymore stress, he's a prefect now!"