[10] Tears And Trolls

Perhaps it was because I was now so busy, what with Quidditch practice three evenings a week on top of all my homework, but I could hardly believe it when I realized that I'd already been at Hogwarts two months. The castle felt strangely more like home than The Burrow. All the magic and being around kids my age, it felt like I was a part of something. I loved it. My lessons, too, were becoming more and more interesting now that we had mastered the basics.

On Halloween morning, I woke up to the delicious smell of baking pumpkin wafting through the corridors. Even better, Professor Flitwick announced in Charms that he thought we were ready to start making objects fly, something we had all been dying to try since we'd seen him make Neville's toad zoom around the classroom. Professor Flitwick put the class into pairs to practice.

I was happily partnered with Harry (which was lucky for him, Neville was trying to catch Harry's eye). Ron, however, was to be working with Hermione.

It was hard to tell whether Ron or Hermione was angrier about this. She hadn't spoken to either of the boys since the day Harry's and my broomsticks had arrived.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, perched on top of his pile of books as usual. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too -- never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest." That must have been uncomfortable.

It was very difficult. Harry swished and flicked, but the feather we were supposed to be sending skyward just lay on the desktop.

"Here, let me try," I said before lifting my wand and doing the hand gesture. "Wingardium Leviosa!"

I gently raised my hand and the feather levitated up into the air. It floated just above our heads before I slowly lowered it back to the table.

"Wow, Rory, you're amazing!" Harry exclaimed in awe.

I blushed, not meeting his eyes. "I just did what I was supposed to."

"If so, then I would've been able to lift it," Harry reminded. "You are way better at being a witch than I am being a wizard."

"That's not true," I shook my head. "It just takes practice. Let me help you."

I laid my hand over Harry's that held his wand before guiding it into the correct movement. "You just need to flick your wrist a little bit more."

When I glanced over at Harry, I could see a blush coloring his cheeks. I blushed as well before letting go of his hand.

"Go on and try again," I murmured to him, embarrassed beyond belief.

Harry cleared his throat before doing as I said. He waved his wand in the correct motion this time and said, "Wingardium Leviosa."

This time, our feather slowly raised a few inches in the air before Harry set it back down on our desk. "I did it! Thanks, Rory!"

I gave him a high five. "No problem."

At the next table, Ron wasn't having as much luck as we were.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" he shouted, waving his long arms like a windmill.

"You're saying it wrong," Hermione snapped at him. "It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long."