[16] Final Glimpse

The snow still hadn't melted the next morning.

"Want to play chess, Harry?" Ron asked him.

"No," Harry replied. He had been quiet and reserved since seeing his parents in that mirror. I wished I knew what to say to Harry to make him feel better. I can't imagine losing my parents, he must be devastated. Especially since he never got a chance to meet them.

"Why don't we go down and visit Hagrid?" Ron tried again

"No... you two go..." Harry mumbled.

"I know what you're thinking about, Harry, that mirror. Don't go back tonight," I told him.

"Why not?" Harry looked up at me in question.

"I dunno, I've just got a bad feeling about it -- and anyway, you've had too many close shaves already. Filch, Snape, and Mrs. Norris are wandering around. So what if they can't see you? What if they walk into you? What if you knock something over?" I explained, hoping to discourage him from going.

"You sound like Hermione," Harry shook his head.

"I'm serious, Harry, don't go," I begged.

"What if you came with me?" Harry asked me.

"I-I," I stuttered, "guess so. But only for tonight. I don't think you should go again, but I know you won't back down."

Harry gave me a small smile.

I could hear Harry have only one thought in his head, which was to get back in front of the mirror, and Ron and I wasn't going to stop him.

That third night we found our way more quickly than before. Harry was walking so fast I knew we were making more noise than was wise, but thankfully we didn't meet anyone.

As soon as we walked into the room, Harry rushed out from under the cloak and sat before the mirror in anticipation. I sighed as I went and joined him on the floor.

And there were Harry's parents and family as well as mine, smiling happily at us again

And there were Harry's parents and family as well as mine, smiling happily at us again. I could tell that we'd be sitting here for a long while. I knew there was nothing to stop Harry from staying here all night with his family. Nothing at all. Except --

"So -- back again, Harry, Rory?" A voice spoke from the darkness.

I jumped as Harry and I looked behind us. Sitting on one of the desks by the wall was none other than Albus Dumbledore, our headmaster. Harry and I must have walked straight past him, Harry so desperate to get to the mirror and I following close behind we hadn't noticed him.

"We -- We didn't see you, sir," Harry stuttered.

"Strange how nearsighted being invisible can make you," said Dumbledore, and I was relieved to see that he was smiling. Maybe we weren't in trouble after all.

"So," said Dumbledore, slipping off the desk to sit on the floor with Harry and me, "you two, like hundreds before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised."

"We didn't know it was called that, sir," I said.

"But I expect you've both realized by now what it does?"

"It -- well -- it shows me my family --" Harry explained.

"And it showed your friend, Ron,
himself as head boy. Rory here saw your family and hers happy."

"How did you know --?" I asked, Dumbledore interrupting me.

"I don't need a cloak to become invisible," Dumbledore told us gently. "Now, can you think what the Mirror of Erised shows us all?"

Harry and I shook our heads. I couldn't understand what the mirror's visions meant. I had an idea, but I couldn't be certain.

"Let me explain. The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is. Does that help?"

I thought quickly, my idea shaping into an answer to Dumbledore's question. Then I said slowly, "It shows us what we want... whatever we want..."

"Yes and no," Dumbledore said quietly. "It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. You, Harry, who have never known your family, see them standing around you. Ronald Weasley, your twin, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them. And you, Rory, see yourself, Harry, and both your families happy because that's what you selflessly desire for all your loved ones. However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible. The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, Rory, and I ask you two not to go looking for it again. If you ever do run across it, you will
now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now, why don't you both put that admirable cloak back on and get off to bed?"

Harry and I stood up.

"Sir -- Professor Dumbledore? Can I ask you something?" Harry said hesitantly.

"Obviously, you've just done so," Dumbledore smiled. "You may ask me one more thing, however."

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?" Harry tilted his head.

"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks."

Harry and I stared blankly at the headmaster. I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.

"One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."

I smiled slightly as Harry and I left, I cast a final glimpse at the mirror's reflection of my heart's desire. Dumbledore was a wise man, but I could tell that he was funny in some ways. But in all the ones that counted. Perhaps he wasn't entirely truthful about what the mirror showed him, but then again, it had been quite a personal question. I don't think I would ever want to tell anyone what my whole vision was, especially not Harry.

But I guess time will tell, won't it?

**********
Another update! More will be coming soon, promise. We're at least halfway done with the first book! Yay! Please vote, comment, and share my story. Hope you like it all and feel free to tell me if I'm writing it well or really, really bad. I love to hear from others. Enjoy!