[12] First Quidditch Game

The next morning dawned very bright and cold. The Great Hall was full of the delicious smell of fried sausages and the cheerful chatter of everyone looking forward to a good Quidditch match.

"You've got to eat some breakfast," Hermione said.

"I don't want anything," Harry refused.

"Just a bit of toast," I held out the piece of bread to him.

"I'm not hungry," Harry said.

"Harry, you need your strength," said Seamus Finnigan. "Seekers are always the ones who get clobbered by the other team."

"Thanks, Seamus," Harry and I said together, watching Seamus pile ketchup on his sausages. Now that's just nasty.

By eleven o'clock the whole school seemed to be out in the stands around the Quidditch pitch. Many students had binoculars. The seats might be raised high in the air, but it was still difficult to see what was going on sometimes.

Ron and Hermione joined Neville, Seamus, and Dean the West Ham fan up in the top row. As a surprise for Harry and me, they had painted a large banner on one of the sheets Scabbers had ruined. It said Potter for President and Rory for Treasurer and Dean, who was good at drawing, had done a large Gryffindor lion underneath. Then Hermione had performed a tricky little charm so that the paint flashed different colors.

In the locker room, Harry, me, and the rest of the team were changing into our scarlet Quidditch robes (Slytherin would be playing in green).

Wood cleared his throat for silence. "Okay, men," he said.

"And women," said Chaser Angelina Johnson. I liked her, we got along great.

"And women," Wood agreed. "This is it."

"The big one," said Fred.

"The one we've all been waiting for," George said.

"We know Oliver's speech by heart," Fred told Harry and me, "we were on the team last year."

"Shut up, you two," said Wood. "This is the best team Gryffindor's had in years. We're going to win. I know it." He glared at us all as if to say, "Or else."

"Right. It's time. Good luck, all of you."

Harry and I followed Fred and George out of the locker room and, walked onto the field to loud cheers.

Madam Hooch was refereeing. She stood in the middle of the field waiting for the two teams, her broom in her hand.

"Now, I want a nice fair game, all of you," she said, once we were all gathered around her. I noticed that she seemed to be speaking particularly to the Slytherin Captain, Marcus Flint, a sixth year. Flint looked as if he had some troll blood in him. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the fluttering banner high above, flashing Potter for President and Rory for Treasurer over the crowd. I felt braver knowing that my friends were here to cheer me on. Let's just hope I don't screw up too badly.

Be careful, Harry.

You too, Rory.