twenty; no place like home

A/N: And now, the dramatic "series finale" of Displaced (plus the epilogue)

"And I remember thinkin', are we out of the woods yet? are we out of the woods yet? Are we out of the woods yet? Are we out of the woods? Are we in the clear yet? Are we in the clear yet? Are we in the clear yet? In the clear yet, good. Are we out of the woods? - Taylor Swift "Out Of The Woods"

When I woke up the next morning, I was happy.

For about two seconds.

Because right after those two seconds, I remembered the most recent events that had transpired. And then I was sad.

I dreaded getting up and facing her, facing Tara.

I mean, what was I supposed to say? Sorry I'm from an alternate universe and have to leave you forever?

She seemed pretty torn up yesterday, and after last night, I probably made her feel even worse.

Which made me feel even worse.

I sighed, reluctantly got out of bed and dressed.

Willow always says avoiding your problems won't solve anything. And I hate to admit it, but she's right. The only way I was going to feel better was when Tara and I made up.

All I could do was hope that Tara would forgive me.

-

"Hey guys." I sighed as I sat at the bar, expecting an answer from two other people.

"I believe that would be 'guy.' Plural."

But Giles was the only one to reply.

"Tara's still asleep. Could you go tell her that breakfast is ready, please?"

"Great." I mumbled grumpily.

"What was that?"

"Oh, nothing." I sighed, walking to Tara's bedroom.

"Tara? Giles says breakfast is ready." I said quietly.

Though I wasn't really expecting a reply, I was surprised when I didn't get one.

I pushed open the door a little.

"Tara? Are you awake?"

As the door fully opened, it revealed an empty bed.

And no Tara.

This was when I started to panic.

"Tara? Tara?" I called out her name frantically, as I search the bathroom, the bedroom, even the closet.

It was when I finally pulled back the cover of her bed that I noticed something: A little piece of paper that had fallen off of one of the pillows.

I picked it up.

It was a note.

I felt my heart rate increase rapidly.

"Paige and Giles,
After last night, I realized I'm interfering with your lives.
Thank you for letting me stay here.
By the time you read this, I'll be gone.
I'll miss you."