Chapter 1: Sky Clan

"So... Raan... we're finally here at the Sky Clan, where do you live?"

"It's... a 4 hour trip by cart. We'll get there soon."

"Um... why am I dressed up as a guy again?"

"I'll explain later. But you have to stay as Lotus, not Rosaria until we meet my father. Keep your beret on, people here are... kinda sceptical towards... well..."

"Of course... Enictians," I sighed.

"D-Don't let that pull you down! Let's go meet my parents, they seem excited to meet you!"

After the events of the year, it was finally the winter break. Students all went home and well, I came here. Violetta went back to Drathe with a super excited look. I was reluctant to come here at first, but she made me go nonetheless, so now I was currently in the outskirts of the Sky Clan.

For some reason, Raan avoided all contact with the townsfolk and told me to get in a cart with a load of hay in it. It was almost as though she was trying to smuggle me.

"Young man?"

"Um... hello?"

"May I ask who you are?"

"Um... L-Lotus. Lotus Wintersong," I replied, nervous using my false name. It's been a while since I last used that name, and that time wasn't exactly the best of times...

"Lotus is it? Are you a suitor of the High Princess?"

"W-What?!" I jumped. "I... um..."

"Leave us," Raan said gently as she pulled me away. The man bowed instantly and left. "Sorry, Rosaria... the situation is kinda complicated now in the Clan," she smiled at me as we got onto the cart.

A man with a straw hat threw a tarp over the cart and smiled.

"It might get a little bumpy at the back, will that be alright?"

"Yes, it will. Thank you."

As the cart began moving she started explaining about the current situation. The Sky Clan was booming with festivity and decorative banners were hung around. I couldn't really read what was written there since I wasn't familiar with Auturic. I couldn't really understand what locals were saying either. The language barrier is pretty mean at times.

"It's okay Rosaria, many Autumn Leaves can speak Altrean. Both parties know each other's languages, which makes it easier to communicate. You don't have to worry about the language barrier."

"Oh."

She began explaining that the King was holding an event to find the suitor for the High Princess of the Sky Clan, the entire Clan's largest event. For the princesses, tournaments were held for their hand; for princes, they would search for other princesses for marriage. It was a complicated system.

It was the reason behind all the celebrations in the local areas. Many people were getting ready to leave towards the city to watch the tournament too. Raan said it was nice to show me the tournament as a way to show me the local culture.

Nobles and princes of other clans as well as local ones were joining this event, all to win her hand. But Raan said it was kinda stupid. She told me that most of them didn't truly love the princess, and that they only wanted the fame and fortune that came with it.

I was never the person who understood political things, so I didn't have much to say. Raan said she was rather anxious about it, saying the the Clan was in trouble if the princess is married with the wrong person. It was also worrying that someone evil might try something funny, but still get the princess's hand.