Chapter 13: Tournament of Fate, 1

The first week of school was perfectly fine, no slip ups or anything, the second was similar. But now... the tournament week has finally arrived, much to my worries.

Professor Callum and Professor Rivera have both given my selected team a proper briefing of the tournament, and we listened carefully. There was another team from our Academy heading there as well, lead by Charles, surprisingly. His team was our secret backup, to some extent, I guess.

Violetta was going be riding her terrifyingly fast superbike to provide me with transport and support. She could ride with at most 3 people including herself, which mean both Raan and I could ride. Raven could easily fly around disguised as a bird, so she didn't need it. (Partially because she didn't like losing her hat and she didn't like riding the bike either.) Honestly, I can drive a car like any normal person, at least.

In this tournament, all participants were given shields, as in the barrier type shields, not the metal ones. The shields will absorb all damage received to a fixed amount before it saturates and has to release all the energy it absorbed before it recharges. If, during the fight, we brought down the shields of an opponent, and make him unable to fight, he is out. Sounds easy, but the shields all have high capacity and can allow the users to receive quite a lot of damage before it depletes. No doubt an Elite tournament.... I heard that these shields can withstand even a direct grenade explosion.

The tournament grounds was at Ifen's largest city, Sylphornia, Altris. The city itself was so big that one needed an hour to drive from one end to another, without traffic. The city's
buildings were all protected with
military-grade shields that were strong enough to withstand the force of up to one kiloton of dynamite exploding (around 4.184 terajoules of energy), so it was safe from all the damage we could deal.

The aim was to sought out and take out the opponents, last man standing wins. Simple goal, just that everyone fighting in it were like, super strong.

Underestimating yourself much?

What?

I mean, come on, you can fight with the power of a dragon. You don't mean to say that winning is impossible, do you?

Um....

As we got to Sylphornia, I was absolutely amazed at how big the city was. It was like... huge. As expected of the largest city...

All participating teams were going to start at different points of the city, and we had to fight anyone we found along the way. Violetta's bike was in the centre of the city, along with all the other vehicles, so we had to get to that area first. We didn't have to worry about people destroying another's vehicle at least, since the rules only allowed for it to be destroyed during battle, not while it was unused.

The four of us started to make our way to the city's centre once the countdown reached '0'. That is, we planned to do so. While we were dropped in randomly, we seemed to have been dropped in a place close to an enemy team....

As a bullet seared past my face as I just barely dodged it, we all leapt away and got into defensive positions.

The bullet wasn't as fast as Lily's, I sensed it faster and had more time to react... so someone must've fired it out of a submachine gun or an assault rifle, definitely not a sniper rifle...

I told everyone to split up and head towards where the opponents were. I however used my wings to fly up. No, I wasn't showing off or anything, but I was trying to direct the opponents' attention to me as my teammates progressed. Besides, tanking damage was in my field.