chapter two

When Kae arrived at the animal shelter it was dark, something that immediately raised all of the personalities suspicions because Holly and George, her coworkers, were always earlier than her. And there was no reason that both would be gone at the same time.

...

The blonde cautiously stepped forward, again and again, until she reached the door.

...

She tried the knob, only to find that it was unlocked.

...

She turned the brass handle

...

and opened the door just a crack.

...

and slipped into the front room.

...

Kae flipped the light switch to find nothing there. She crept around the reception desk, only slightly more relaxed than when she'd first entered the building. Even the voices were being silent when the blonde spotted a notepad that had been written on.

Got a call about some strays in the city. George fed the cats. ~Holly

Kae narrowed her eyes, George was terrified of cats and refused to go in the cat room. At this point she was thoroughly frightened. And that was what made Winter come out.

----------------------------------------------

Winter reached into the bag settled on her shoulder. The assassin's calculated steps gradually drew her closer to the door of the loud dog room as she pulled out a gun. The safety was clicked off without a thought as she pushed the door open with her hip.

"Hello, Miss McAllister," someone spoke from the other side of the room, the barking of the dogs almost masking her voice.

The gun was instantly trained on the woman, "Sorry, doll. Kae isn't here right now."

"Well, I've been sent here to get her," the brunette continued, "so if you would please put down the gun and let Miss McAllister speak to me."

"No can do ma'am," Winter replied, hands tightening on the gun, "you're going to have to tell me what you want with her first."

"I'm here on behalf of SHIELD," the woman answered, "My name is Agent Taylor."

"Winter," the assassin responded stiffly, her eyes scanning over the agent.

"Well, Winter, I'm here because we want to recruit Miss McAllister-"

"No." Winter was slightly impressed that the brunette was able to keep so calm with a gun aimed at her heart and a death glare directed straight at her.

"For the Avengers," Agent Taylor trekked on, producing a manilla folder from behind her.

The woman brushed past Winter, who was still glaring, pushing the folder into her arms as she left the room, "talk to her, will you?"

The agent in this chapter (Agent Taylor) will show up quite a few more times in this and if you'd like to check it out, she has her own book Colors. I hope you all have a wonderful week and I'll see you again next Monday. :)
~ Aria