chapter four

Kae looked down at her wrist. 11:59. There was only a minute left. She knew that she probably should have already been there. Central Park that is. But she as cool as everything sounded, saving the world and all, she wasn't really sure if it was real or just a trick meant to manipulate her.

"It doesn't matter!" Gen yelled for what was probably the third time, "We already agreed!"

"But it does matter if she's going to betray us!" Kae retorted, trying to resist the speedster's control for as long as possible.

"Shouldn't you already be there?" George looked up from the reception desk, having heard her exclamation.

Holly poked her head out of the cat room, pointing at the blonde accusedly, "Yeah. She should be. But she's not."

"I thought you were against this idea," Kae scowled.

Kae began to feel a bit tired from holding back two of the three voices from taking over. So that was why she eventually failed in trying to keep the speedster out of the drivers seat.

----------------------------------------------

"So," Gen skid to a stop in front of the awaiting, "You gonna kill us or are you for real?"

"I never said that I thought she would kill us," Kae spoke grouchily from where the other personalities had been keeping her so that she wouldn't take over and bolt, "I just didn't think we really had any reason to trust her."

Gen purposefully ignored her, "So are you?"

Agent Taylor raised an eyebrow and chuckled, "Now why would I do that?"

"Cause Kae thinks you will," Gen smirked, "I'm Gen by the way, short for Genesis, I'm the fun one."

"I've heard," Agent Taylor replied, amusement evident in her voice, "shall we get going?"

"Fine by me," Gen smoothed out her camo skirt, "on one condition."

"Okay..." The agent motioned for her to go on.

"Winter's going to be the one going."

"I have no problem with that," Agent Taylor answered, "Just remember that at some point SHIELD is going to have to meet Miss McAllister."

"She has a good point," Alison agreed, "you can't keep Kae out forever."

"We only have to until we can confirm that the agent is telling the truth," Winter rationalized before taking control once again.

----------------------------------------------

"Have the other Avengers shown up yet?" Winter asked, trying to keep her tone light, even when she still wasn't sure that this base was for the 'good guys'.

"Only Captain Rogers so far," Agent Taylor's words were reassuring, "I can take you to meet him if you'd like. He's been training in the gym."

"Sounds swell," The agent eyed her, but didn't comment.

While they walked through the corridors, the assassin took note of the agents who passed. A few stopped and stared at the blonde 20 year old wearing a white blouse, camo skirt, and white tennis shoes; the normal civilian, that wasn't quite normal.

A few didn't notice her; they were talking to coworkers and friends or working on tablets as they passed. Some only spared her a glance, still, Winter noted all of them, looking for any suspicious reactions to her.

The total time it took for them to get to the gym was twenty minutes and thirty seven seconds. Winter assumed it was due to the enormity of the SHIELD base. When she first entered the room, the assassin wasn't able to immediately locate the blond super soldier. But it didn't take very long for her to spot him at a punching bag at the back of the gym.

It was only when Winter caught the bag that he'd just hit off of it's hook that Steve noticed her,

"Are you alright ma'am?"

Thank you to everyone reading this story and for getting it to 100 reads already! I really appreciate it. I hope that you all have a marvelous week, and I'll see you next Monday with chapter five. :)
~ Aria