chapter six

"So," Kae picked Steve's hand off of her shoulder, "do I get to meet the boss now?"

"Yes ma'am," the super soldier replied, "I was told I had an hour before the others arrived, and I believe that that hour is almost up."

"Great!" Kae spun herself around and began to walk towards the gym's exit.

The blonde turned right and was about to continue on when Steve pointed out that she was going the wrong way. She spun back around started walking the other way, the captain jogging to catch up with her. Kae let Steve lead her up to the roof where a bird was landing. The noise was deafening, but Kae didn't budge against it for the sake of not showing weakness; she wasn't going soft on these people, they had yet to earn her full trust.

When the plane powered down, the hatch in the back opened up to reveal three people, a redhead, a man in a suit, and another, more rugged, man. The trio walked down the ramp, the woman more confidently than the other. Kae assumed that the two were Bruce Banner and Natasha Romanoff.

"Agent Romanoff, Dr. Banner," the suited man looked at both of his companions in turn, "Captain Rogers and Kaelyn McAllister."

"Captain," Dr. Banner greeted, "Miss McAllister."

"It's Kae," the blonde corrected, "I don't like formalities and I don't particularly like doctors."

"You could be a little bit nicer," Alison urged.

"Sir, Ma'am," Steve nodded respectfully to both of the people in front of them.

"Hi," the agent's reply was sensible and to the point.

Agent Taylor walked up to the five of them, "They need you on the bridge," she told the suited man, "They're starting the face trace."

He nodded in response, "See you there."

The remaining four, along with Agent Taylor, began to walk along the roof of the Helicarrier. Kae was standing farthest to the right, next to Steve.

The ginger agent turned to Steve, "It was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice."

"I thought Coulson was going to swoon," Agent Taylor pitched in, "Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?"

"Trading cards?" Kae asked at almost the exact same moment as Steve.

"They're vintage," Agent Romanoff smoothly threw in, "He's very proud."

"Doctor Banner," Steve promptly changed the subject, "word is, you can find the Cube."

The doctor looked around nervously, "is that the only word on me?"

"Only word I care about," Steve assured.

Banner looked nodded before gesturing around, "it must be strange for you, all of this."

"Well, this is actually kind of familiar."

"Because you used to be in the army?" Kae asked.

Steve didn't get the opportunity to respond because Agent Romanoff informed them that they 'should probably all step inside'.

"It's going to get a little hard to breathe," Agent Taylor added.

"Flight Crew, secure the deck," a voice came over the PA.

People started running around strapping everything in sight to the concrete. The water surrounding the Helicarrier had become choppy and swirled around the base of the SHIELD headquarter.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve asked, seeming surprised.

Banner let out a small, sarcastic laugh, "Really? They want me in a submerged, pressurized, metal container?"

"At least it doesn't fly?" Alison suggested, which Kae then repeated to the group.

The blonde, Steve, and Banner all walked to the edge of the roof to watch the waters below. The sea was swirling downward as what seemed to be a giant turbine rose from the ocean's depths. The Helicarrier began to rise up out of the water and into the air, waves rolling off of it as it rose.

"Damn," Kae muttered softly.

And we're finally at the Avengers plot line! Esme is in quite a few scenes, however, she isn't an Avenger. Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful week and I'll see you all again next Monday with chapter seven.
~ Aria