02: Only If We Order Extra Cherries

h a r b o r

A seventeen year old girl sits on the curb for the fifth time this week. Picking at the flaking crimson paint indicating a "NO PARKING ZONE". A breeze whips through her long blonde second-day curled hair and enters the holes of her burgundy sweater.

She shouldn't be sitting here. She's just torturing herself by letting him emotionally torment her even after he's stopped.

She still remembers that day vividly. The day he ripped her heart out and turned it jet black. Never had she felt a pain so excruciating. It was as if her insides were trying to claw their way out so as not to be associated with the broken girl within whom they reside.

That day she went to see Arabella. Her best friends had always been so good with words. She said something that was simple yet, for one reason or another, has always stayed with her.

"Life's too short to never drink tea and cry over someone who's simply the rear end of a donkey."

Harbor chuckled at Arabella's futile attempt to get her to drink tea, and her sly way of calling him a jackass. Tea is Arabella's absolute favorite beverage. Harbor's absolute least favorite. She'd rather drink crappy coffee with one too many scoops of sugar.

As she day-dreamed, more like day-nightmared, she felt a presence place itself next to her.

She lifted her chin from her hand and turned to see Ashton. Her mood instantly shifted to something much less melancholic.

"There are places so much better than this crumbling curb. How about we go get milkshakes?"

"Can we share a large cookies and cream one?"

Ashton's lips curled into a small smile. "Only if we order extra cherries."

"Deal."