PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE | ' the tapes  '

PROLOGUE | ' the tapes '

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

LEILA Johnson were the few that became Hannah's friends, but the only difference is that, she was the only trustworthy and good friend Hannah had. And when she discovered that Hannah ended her life, she was depressed. Why? Because her and Hannah were very close. They considered each other as like sisters. And it tore Leila's heart because she knew well what Hannah was experiencing.

"Hey mom," she greeted her with a smile. Her mom looked up with a smile, "Hey hun. Wait — I found this in the mail box. I think that's for you. It has your initials." Her mom handed her a box with the letters, L.J., she took the box gratefully and dashed to her room.

Wait what? No one uses the mailbox anymore. And why would anyone mail me?

She set the box to her table and came up with thoughts.

For what I know, Clay received a box with cassettes, which was given by Hannah. Hannah! Hannah might've gave this to me... And, he said, the cassettes were thirteen reasons why she ended her life. Am I one of those? What if this is one of those?

...What if I killed Hannah Baker?

She shuddered at the thought as a tear fell from her eye. No! I will never hurt Hannah! But... but... with all the stuff buzzing in school, no one can be innocent.

She hesitated, got the first tape, then decided to listen.

"Hey Leila, it's Hannah. Hannah Baker. You might know the other tapes I gave to Clay and the others. But no! Those are the reasons why I ended my life.

But before you think any silly thoughts, no. You aren't the reason. In fact, you were my rock. You were the friend I had. The only good friend I had. And I'm grateful for you.

...And these tapes are about me thanking you, Lei. So, sit back, relax and I'm gonna discuss to you things, I never had the nerve to tell you and things I want to thank you for."