1. TAPE ONE

1. TAPE ONE:
friendships and being strong 

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

LEILA continued listening as she sat on her bed. She's grateful for me? H-how? She softly smiled at thought, but quickly vanished to a frown, when she remembered Hannah was dead. Her best friend was gone. And it was because of a lot of people.

"Okay tape one, here we go.

Lei, when I met you, you were always so kind to me. When Kat left, you came to my lunch table one day, asking me if I wanted to be friends.

And I was glad, because I would finally have some company. You were always so kind, caring and friendly.

You were like friends with — with everyone! I don't blame them though, we can't stand without saying a greeting to you."

Leila heard a knock on her door, but she ignored it. Until her mom came inside with a smile. "Hun, it's dinner. You comin'?" Leila quickly disposed the tape under her covers.

"Hun is everything alright? What did you just throw away? What're you hiding?" Her mom asked once again, her eyebrow raised, making Leila give her a nervous smile in reply.

"Uh — it's just a project. I was listening to it. But then I heard you come in so, I had to keep it." Leila mentally high fived herself for a good lie she just told. She always sucked at lying, but this lie was good.

"Sure hun. Just make sure to come down already okay? We don't want the food to wait. And fix your stuff. It's really messy." And with that, her mom turned around and closed the door.

"Sure mom! I'll be down in a minute!" She called out, putting the first tape on her table. And the box full of cassettes under her bed. She stood up, and went downstairs.

"Hey hun!" Her dad greeted her as he ushered her to sit. She saw the food presented in front of her. It was her favorite — roasted chicken and rice. The chicken was cooked in perfection and the rice was also cooked well.

"My favorite! Mom you cooked my favorite!" She exclaimed as her eyes roamed around the table. On her right side, there was a glass filled with orange juice.

"I knew you wanted to eat something more appetizing so I cooked your favorite. And I see you're really happy," her mom smiled then sat down.

"So who'll start the prayer?" Her dad asked as Leila raised her hand. "I will!"

THE next day, Leila went to her locker — which was beside Hannah's. "Oh my god! She's so pretty! Zee can you take a picture of me and her?" She heard her classmate Jane order her best friend Zee, take a photo.

She saw how the other students will mourn over Hannah and try to show how sad they are, but they were just sad when Hannah was gone. When she was alive, they didn't care for her, and now? Now, now that she's gone, they'll be sad? When in the first place they were the reason why she died. She scoffed, as she put on her ear phones and went back on listening to the first tape.

"At first I was kinda annoyed at you, since you were always so cheerful and bubbly — which is literally the opposite of me. But—"

She stopped listening when she heard someone calling her.

"Coe! Lei! Leila!" An all too familiar voice called out to her. She turned around to meet the mesmerizing eyes of the one and only Clay Jensen. "Hey Clay," she smiled, as she stopped for him to catch up.

"I don't think I can listen to the tapes anymore Lei," Clay whispered as his hand brushed against hers.

"Don't Clay. Hannah left an order, and you should do that. Maybe why you were there has a valid reason. Of course Hannah wouldn't just add you because of a stupid reason. So if you need me I'm here okay?" She intertwined their hands together as she gave him a soft smile. He smiled in response.

"Let's head to class. So shall we Coe?" Clay playfully bowed as Leila laughed.

"Sure Dew!" She called him by their childhood nickname. It was about Mountain Dew and Coke. When they were younger, they fought over what soda was better. Leila was team Coke, whereas Clay was team Mountain Dew. And they named each other Coe for Leila and Dew for Clay. I know, sounds weird right?

She gratefully took his hand as they walked to their class, hands intertwined.

"But then I'm glad I met you. Because without you... I would never learn to stand up on my own feet. I would never be this strong.

For this first tape, I am grateful for you: One, being my friend — no, best friend. And second, making me stronger.

And I was glad Lei. I was glad when you were there for me, when no one believed in me."

---

WOOPLA! Chapter one finished! Btw, the one in the end was Hannah. For every chapter I guess, it'll end like that.

Hopefully this is okay hehe :)) Hopefully you guys are enjoying this book so far :))

#unedited

I love you all! ♡

-mikayla xx