Chapter 1

"Boy can I tell you a wonderful thing

I can't help but notice you staring at me

I know I shouldn't say this but I really believe

I can tell by your eyes that your in love with me"

Terrible Things - Mayday Parade

-

Luke Hemmings was nervous. He has no idea why, but he is. Maybe because it's the first day of his senior year and he's kind of happy he doesn't have to stay at home anymore. Now he's not always there to attend to his moms panic attacks or 'emergencies'. But it also mean that someone has to at the house and it will be his overly aggressive brother, if not his moms friends. But they wouldn't do anything to help out. They're just there to eat what little food that he has.

He's kind of dreading his first period class because it's economics and he hates anything related to history. It's really just not his top priority.

He gets dressed in his usual attire. Some random black shirt, some random black pants, and some random shoes. Well, no, it's not that gothic looking.

His shirt simply says "destroy yourself see who gives a fuck" (and, yes, he is excited about being sent to the principles office this early in the year). His pants are black, so that's not a change. And he's wearing his white thongs (flip flops, not underwear).

He smokes half a cigarette on the way to school. Absentmindedly blowing small puff of air at the stop signs.

-

Ashton was in his classroom, getting ready for his first period class. A million thoughts ran through his head.

Do I look okay?

What if they all hate me?

How do I approach them?

Calm down.

Everything is fine.

Okay no it's not. The bell just rang.

It would probably be a lie if he said that he didn't sprint to the door and almost fell out of his chair. He shook it off and opened the door.

There were millions of kids running around. Literally millions.

Ashton's hands were shaking.

Luke was walking down the hallway alone, already wanting to hang out with his friends again. At least he has first period with Michael.

AP Economics was probably his best subject. But he was basically a hyper active genius boy with a perfect GPA.

-AP Economics/Civics

-AP Chemistry/Astronomy

-AP English 2

-Choir

Lunch

-Gym

-Keystone

-AP Algebra 3

It was all for his mom, who- to put it bluntly- couldn't give a shit.

-

Lunch was fun. Luke got to walk around campus with Michael and Calum. But then the bell rang and it was time for gym with Michael.

Maybe since it's the first day he won't do anything but play on his phone.

And that's what he did.

But then keystone rolled around. A 'team-building' class that teaches you how to 'think outside the box' and 'use your peers for help'.

He was stuck with Mr. Hall. A pudgy, slightly bald, old man. Meanwhile Calum and Michael were having the time of their life in Mrs. Hutchens room. A hip, mid-age, married woman.

Luke sat next to Adam. Adam was kind of like a temporary but not so temporary friend. They didn't talk a lot, but they had been friends since elementary.

"Today we're gonna learn about paradimes. Does anyone know what that is?"

Before anyone raised there hands the teacher said, "Two dimes duh." with a funny face; Luke laughed.

"But seriously does anyone know what it is?"

Luke did. It's what you think of something at first or for a standard amount of time. It's basically your opinion.

"Isn't like, how someone sees you?" Brett, a jock with a real cocky attitude that demands to be heard, said.

No.

"Well, no, it's you're outlook on them..."

Luke feels like this lesson can take forever.

-

Ashton says goodbye to his class as they walked out the door. So far so good. All he had to do was get through his next class. His last class.

Kids walk in and sit wherever. Ashton didn't think to set up a seating chart. But he hated them as a kid, so he'll hold back.

High school is so weird. All these punk little kids rolling around, thinking they know everything. And it's so diverse. Asians, koreans, blacks, whites, they were everywhere. There's at least one person for every country.

Seventh period starts to roll in, one by one. Everyone takes their seats before the bell rings. All except a little punk kid who strolled in late, smelling like weed.

"Sorry I'm late, I was in the principle's office."

That was literally the biggest load of bullshit Ashton ever heard.

But Ashton smiled, "That's fine. What's you're name?"

"Luke."

Luke automatically walked away from Ashton and sat next go a tan boy and really pale boy.

Luke.

"Alright, well I'm Mr. Irwin."

-

THONGS ARE FLIP FLOPS GUYS NOT THE WOMENS PANTIES