Chapter 5

"I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven"
Your Guardian Angel - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

-

(A/N: Mentions of abuse and drug use)

Luke comes to school the following Monday with a sprained wrist. Truth is, Dustin pushed Luke into a glass coffee table but he didn't tell anyone that. Instead he fell and landed on it in a backyard soccer match.

Ashton was curious. He saw a few scratches on Luke's arm, but kept quiet.

-

On Tuesday Luke woke up with a feeling. No- not like a boner kind of feeling. But a I-haven't-smoked-weed-in-awhile-so-I'm-going-to-tonight kind of feeling.

So before he began getting ready for school, he texted Justin.

Will you meet in the bathroom before school? ;)

Justin was a guy that Luke met at a party in their freshman year. And now, whenever Luke wanted pot he got it from Justin in return of a quick-and-clean hand job or blow job.

Calum hates Justin. He loves weed, but he hates Justin. He thinks the whole idea of some guy's dick down his best friends throat for weed is plain dumb. And gross.

And Luke guesses that Justin was feeling generous that morning (that or he did a very good job) because he gave Luke a shit ton of weed.

-

Wednesday Ashton talked to Luke. Well, Luke was ordered to go to Lunch tutoring. As he was supposed to do for the remaining days of the week.

To be honest, Luke wasn't even sure why he needed 'tutoring',.. He had straight A's. So he declared something.

"Why do I need this? I have an A in this class."

Ashton hesitated, "I just want to make sure you understand it."

But honestly there was so much to Luke that Ashton wanted to figure out.

-

On Thursday Ashton accidentally told Luke he liked his eyes.

That was okay because Luke said, "That's weird. I like your lips."

-

On Friday Luke had plans to go to Calum's that night with Michael. Oh and Ashton and Luke kissed.

Luke was just sitting in his chair bouncing a tennis ball against the wall.

"I still don't get why I'm here." Luke stated. "I know I miss school a lot, but I have an A in here and behave relatively well."

Ashton quit typing, "Yeah, are you alright? Is everything at home okay?"

Ashton assumed that he would lie and say yes, and he was right.

"Like I said before, you're paid to care. You don't really."

"Yes I do, Luke. And I don't get paid to care I get paid to teach." He started walking to Luke's desk.

"Besides," Luke stood. "Even if anything was wrong, you would report it. Next thing I know I'm being whisked away into some foster home to get adopted so some poor family would make money off me for a few months until I'm eighteen. Then they would throw me to the curb."

"Not precisely." Ashton argued.

"Precisely."

Neither of them can explain what exactly happened after that. They remember the thick tension in the air and their faces being so close together. Ashton remembers leaning in and Luke kissing him. And, God, Luke's lips were so soft.

It was quite the powerful kiss. That is until the lunch bell rang and Luke stared before racing off to his next class.

-

They didn't talk for a month. But the first of October Luke received a note saying, meet me after class.

"What's that?" Michael asked.

"It's nothing."

-

"We need to talk about... you know."

Luke awkwardly fixed his backpack strap and shoved his hand in his pocket. "Yeah, I know, you never even called me after. I mean I know that conventional suspension is three days, but a month? Damn."

Ashton chuckled, "I could suspend you for saying that y'know."

"I could have you fired for kissing me, you know."

Ashton blushed, "About that... Uh. Please don't let anyone know. You said it yourself, I can be fired for that and then my whole life would be ruined."

"Mr. Irwin I get that you think it was risky and hazardous and on top of that a mistake, but I'm not telling anyone."

Ashton couldn't control himself or what he was saying anymore. "Hey, I didn't say it was a mistake. Hell yeah it was risky, but life comes with those. How about you come over tonight and we can pick up where we left off?"

Holy shit. Is he really saying this to a fucking student?

"I uhm- I would love to but I can't. I have plans," he mentally smirked because he remembered that he would be smoking with Calum and Michael again tonight. "Saturday okay? Maybe I'll come to your house or whatever."

"Yeah, Saturday's cool."

Luke laughed, "Okay then. See you Saturday." He then fixed his back pack again and met with Calum outside the building.

How could Luke just play such a thing off? Ashton would like to think that any other student would have freaked out and transferred classes, but Luke was just so damn chill.

And the way he carries himself was just wow. His tall body stood straight and broad, his backpack always hanging from one strap. He walked like he didn't have a care in the world, like he always just gives a shit less.

And on top of that Luke was just a huge mystery. Why does he give a shit less? Why doesn't he judge people or ever freak out or get overwhelmed? ashton knows that Luke smokes pot so why doesn't Luke have bad grades?

Nothing about Luke makes any sense, bust as dangerous as it is, Ashton ready to get lost in the riddle that is Luke Hemmings.