Chapter 3

"Though the pressure's hard to take

It's the only way I can escape

It seems a heavy choice to make

And now I am under all."

Never Let Me Go - Florence and the Machine

-

Next Monday, Luke was timid. He walked by himself, he sat by himself.

Ashton noticed and he wished he wasn't a teacher because he would- never mind.

"Luke!" Liz screamed.

Luke rolled over in his bed, springs screeching beneath him. He groaned loudly. Why can't his mom just let him sleep? Why can't she put down the bottle?

Taking his precious time, he slowly walked down the hall. Where was his mom even at? Bedroom was a no-go, and same for the living room and kitchen. She wasn't in Ben's room, or Jack's.

"Bathroom," Luke muttered. And sure enough...

Her make up was smeared and she was laying on the floor. Her muscles were starting to tense up and it immediately snapped. She was having another one of her panic attacks.

Luke shakes his head. Don't remember. Don't remember. Please don't remember.

Luke eventually got his mom to breath right as she crept into unconsciousness. He carries her upstairs and onto her queen sized mattress.

Stop Luke. Block it out.

The door slams shut. Dustin walks upstairs and stops when he sees Luke.

"Did you put my little toy to sleep?" He smirked.

"Yeah she, uh, she had a panic attack and I brought her upstairs." Luke shrugged and tried walking past Dustin through the doorway.

"Mmm where are you going? who else am I gonna play with?"

Luke gulped. What does that mean? he knows what it means, and fuck does he not want to. He's not ready.

Please no.

But it happened.

Usually having no friends in your first period class is a nice thing, it gave him time to think. But the last thing that Luke needs is time to think about that.

So he skipped.

But he didn't really have anywhere to go, so he just sat in the bathroom and waited for Michael to reply to his text.

But Michael never did.

So Luke just sat in the bathroom for 55 minutes and when the bell rang he texted Calum-

Please meet me in the bathroom

And something told Calum that this was urgent. So Calum texted Luke and asked which bathroom he was in but didn't get a response. When Calum finally found Luke he was panting and had his hands on his knees.

"I want to leave." Luke said plainly. His hood was placed over his head and he was staring at his hands that remained in fists.

"What do you mean? Just leave, where's your car?"

"I rode the bus." As the late bell rang Luke explained, "I seriously don't care if I have to walk to your house, but I will. I need the house key. I'll just walk. Or I'll ask Justin to take me."

"Woah, dude, slow down. You're not talking to Justin. I don't care what he does for you. I don't like him. And you can't walk either. I can see if my mom will take us to my house, but until then just sit tight."